Range Extender cannot access certain websites

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-16 00:43:20
Model: RE450  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: ?

I was able to set up the range extender, it has access to the the internet. However certain websites do not work and will send me to an error page. Also I can no longer reach the setup page through tplinkrepeater.com. I have tried restarting and reseting the extender and each time I am able to setit up and reach the final finsh page, but after that it sends me to a "trying to configure the range extender page". i am really stuck and I am not sure what the issue is. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Options
8 Reply
Re:Range Extender cannot access certain websites
2020-09-16 21:54:27

@Jarodace 

The Range extender is just a conduit to the router, however it does change the header on your client device MAC address so if you have any Parental controls or web filtering setup that could be the reason why those site do not come up.  Also you cannot access the extener's UI or through the app unless you are connected to its network or it is connected to the to a TP-Link Cloud account. 

Options
2020-09-16 22:04:48 - last edited 2020-09-16 22:05:37

@Carl

Hi Carl thank you for responding to me. As far as I know there are not Parental controls or web filtering setup. I can access all websites when I am connected to the router, however when I am connected to the extender there are websites that I cannot connect to. I also am connected to the extender when I get the "trying to configure the range extender" page. I am also connected to it through the app but the app is limited in toubleshooting. In the image the 5G-EXT is the extender network, I have also tried using an ethernet cable to directly connect the wifi extender to my PC but that leads to the same page.

Options
2020-09-18 16:19:54

@Jarodace 

Engaged with our engineering team.  They asked: Please ask the customer to do the following settings on his PC and see if the issue could be fixed:

First please check the IP address of the range extender on Tether app and then manually change the primary DNS server of his PC as the range extender itself.

If the issue cannot be fixed this way, please send us the E-mail of the customer and we will do a remote session with him/her.

so if it does not work then please DM me your email and phone number and i will get you in contact with the engineers to do a remote session.

Options
2021-04-07 14:02:05

@Carl I have the same issue. Is this fixed?

Options
2021-04-07 17:37:06

@santi7chelsea 

Its not a confrimed issue, at least not yet.  My last response was from September of last year and we never got a response, at least not form I cand find so i would suggest the same actions as in my last statement.

Options
2021-06-17 03:17:14

Hi, I am facing issue accessing a few websites including Zoom when I am using the Range Extender. But the moment I connect to my original wifi, those websites are accesible. Please email me at carmenlee20@gmail.com as I have an important zoom session scheduled this week. Thanks. 

Options
2021-09-16 14:43:12

@Carl I am having the same issues with our range extender not opening pages other than google sites.  You mentioned in an earlier post that the range extender can alter the MAC address?  how can this be resolved?

Options
2021-09-16 17:01:09

@PleaseHelp 

It can't be.  The MAC's header will change when a client connect to the Range Extender.  This is how most range extenders on the market work.  It has to do with compatiblity and connectivity.  The only things it will affect on your network are Port Forwarding rules and any filters that are MAC based.  Consider this though that even Apple and Android now have features that change the MAC address built right into their OS.

One thing you can try is to browse to the IP address of the website rather than the sites DNS name.  for instance yahoo's address is 74.6.231.20.  However this is a rather old trick and only works on sites that do have virtual hosting.  So you may not be able to pull up all sites.  

Usually websites not pulling up are DNS related and changing the DNS address on your router can generally resolve the concern.  

CloudFlare is a tech radar top choice 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1

Google's are also good.  8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

BestRegards 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 5819

Replies: 8

Related Articles