Parental Control - time limit only selected services

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-18 14:12:36
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I find the idea to limit the on-line time for a child instead of setting fixed hours great. However it looks like the router counts time even if a child does not actively use the device. Maybe because the phone is synchronizing with a server in background?

it would be nice to have a possibility to limit the time spent for only some Web/Applications individually or to have a possibility to create a whitelist of apps that are not counted into the time limit.

What do you thing about this idea?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Parental Control - time limit only selected services
2020-09-18 21:43:00

@radim 

Thank you for the feature request. We have received similar feedback which we will forward to our developers in this instance for consideration.

Options
2020-09-19 12:53:24

@Tony  thanks for the reply.

There are even more problems with the parental control. Even though the childern were not using their phones (or only for few minutes), the router already reports they spent all of their 4h time. More interestingly, it shows they were using www.facebook.com for more than 3h 20h, but they do not have facebook apps even installed on the adroid app! This results in that their access is already blocked in the morning.

I'm very disappointed with this router. Parental control is not unusable, Smart Connect does not allow configuring bands and keeps devices connected to 2.4GHz network even they can connect to 5GHz and achieve higher bit rate. The actual download/upload rate is reported incorrectly (watching movie and it shows 0bits/s) in the andoid app and web page, etc.

Actualy parental control and high transmission speeds were the reason, why I bought this router. I'm probably going to return it. TP-Link is obviously not able to handle this functionality correctly as these problems exists for a long time, as I could find out on this forum.

Options
2020-09-22 22:06:00

@radim 

Disconnecting from the wireless network would need to be done as any pasive packets passing through the router will count toward time used.

If you want to control what band to connect do, do not use smart connect. With smart connect you leave the router to choose what band the device will be on, if you already have a preference leave both bands separate. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 351

Replies: 3