Signal strength though old house

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-18 23:15:44

Hello all.  I am thinking about buying the M9 Mesh system but I am worried about signal strength between the access point devices.  My house was built in 1930 and the walls and ceilings are plaster and lathe.  Historically I have had terrible wifi penetration and have burned though a dozen different flavors of wifi router from Tenda to Linksys to TPLink and Unify.  They just don't cover my whole house from the front porch to the back deck and the 2nd floor to the basement (house is 1,000 sq. ft per floor).  One thing I do have is CAT6 cable everywhere.  If I understand the mesh concept the primary unit is connected to the router/switch/etc through CATx cable but the "slave" units communicate to it (and each other?) via a back-haul wireless network and that is my concern.  Is it possible to connect the slave units to my switch and use CATx cable as the backhaul instead of depending on a potential brick wall between them with wifi?  Thanks for your time.

GS

Options
1 Reply
Re:Signal strength though old house
2020-09-21 15:48:21

@Gordon_Shumway 

If you utilize your existing wired network with the Deco units, the Deco units will talk via the Ethernet cabling instead of Wi-Fi. If you tried previous wireless devices then you would probably see the same if you went only the Wi-Fi route.

If you are going to use the Deco in router mode, all of the slave nodes need to be connected behind the main Deco:

router <---> main Deco <---> switch <---> all slaves

If you are going to use the Deco units in access point mode, then the salves do not need to be behind the main, they can go to directly to the router:

router <---> switch <---> all Decos

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 511

Replies: 1

Related Articles