Very poor performance

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Very poor performance

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Very poor performance
Very poor performance
2020-09-23 18:53:52
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I have just installed a new CCTV system and it's taken up the use of my wi-fi extender so I though I would buy a mesh system to compensate. I don't have a particularly big house, but opted for the P9 as I may use it in my garden office. 

I am running Virgin fibre 500 mbps on a hub 3, and whilst in my living room where the hub is located, can get wifi speeds of up to 400+ mbps. elsewhere in the house this can drop to 30-40 mbps which is relatively ok, but I wanted to try and give a consistent coverage all over.

Straight out the box, downloaded the app and I have plugged in and set up the Deco P9, and it is offering horrendous speeds.

I have switched off the hub wifi as recommended (changed the setting to modem), plugged the main unit it and have run both a wired and wireless speed check and getting 60mbps. It's less than 12 inches from the main hub. Upstairs is even worse with speeds well below what I would expect to get from the main hub without any additional kit despite standing right next to the node.

Is there anything I am doing wrong that someone could point out? If not, this is going straight back.

Thanks

Dougie

Options
8 Reply
Re:Very poor performance
2020-09-24 16:18:54

@Kaiserchieftain 

If you have a wired computer steal the cable from the Deco that goes to the modem, and test that speed to make sure the slowdown is not coming from the cable or modem.

Start with the main Deco if that is only giving 60 Mbps, then swap the Ethernet cable being used, even if it is the one that came with the Deco, been swap to the second port of the Deco. 

When at the main Deco I would expect higher speeds, 60 Mbps maybe for the satellite units, but not the main. 

If speeds still are slow swap the main Deco with one of the satellite units.

Options
2020-09-24 17:17:46

@Tony  Thanks Tony, will give it a try. I did try a variety of ethernet cables when setting up the main node thinking there may be a fault, but all seemed to be the same. I will try swapping the nodes about and see if it makes a difference. 

Cheers

Dougie

Options
2020-09-24 21:12:29 - last edited 2020-09-24 21:12:39

@Kaiserchieftain 

Sounds good.

Another thing I forgot to mention is to look at the QoS menu. In that menu, you can set what your internet speeds are, and if 60 Mbps were set then it will create a bottleneck. I would manually set that number to a high value.

Options
2020-09-24 21:22:15

@Tony 

Hi Tony, my P9 hasn't got the QoS menu available

Options
2020-09-25 22:41:24

@Kaiserchieftain 

Do you have the Deco in Access Point mode?

Options
2020-09-25 22:58:25

@Tony  yep

Options
2020-09-28 18:28:42

@Kaiserchieftain 

The QoS is seen in router mode since you are in AP mode it would not be there. 

You mentioned changing the setting of the hub to the modem, but if Deco is still operating in AP Mode your hub should still be in router mode. If that is the case, you can wire multiple Deco units to hub. Wire a second Deco into the router and connect to that with an Ethernet cable, and test those speeds. If both nodes are giving 60 Mbps switch the Deco back to router mode, check the QoS, increase the number if needed, and test again. If the wires speeds are still slow remove the Deco from the Ethernet cable and connect a computer to it. If bypassing the Deco nodes gives the full speeds try defaulting all the nodes, and setting it up one more time.

Options
2020-09-28 18:32:30
Cheers mate, will give it a go!
Options