TP-link Archer c6 getting random "Connection Timeouts" for about 2 seconds every minute or two

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TP-link Archer c6 getting random "Connection Timeouts" for about 2 seconds every minute or two

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-27 18:54:33
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.3.6 Build 20200902 rel.65591(4555)

Hello, I noticed a problem when gaming that I got disconnected very often.  The first thing I did is to try ping with cmd, which showed that every minute or 30 seconds I've got about 2 seconds of Connection Timeout. I tried restarting the router which did nothing, Factory reset did nothing. It was working fine like a week ago but now it's doing this every day. I don't know if its an ISP problem or a problem on my end. The LED on the router turns orange for the 2 secs when the internet crashes. Can it be the firewall doing thing in the background? Also i noticed it's doing alot when i use something like Discord and i have a online game open. Also my pings just jumps to around 2k before the crash.

Options
7 Reply
Re:TP-link Archer c6 getting random "Connection Timeouts" for about 2 seconds every minute or two
2020-09-29 16:51:31 - last edited 2020-09-29 16:53:32

@markus2900 

Do multiple tests on different devices like your smartphone.

It might be a situation of something syncing up periodically (Dropbox, One Drive, etc), might be the computer you are using now.

Options
Re:TP-link Archer c6 getting random "Connection Timeouts" for about 2 seconds every minute or two
2020-11-09 11:35:19 - last edited 2020-11-09 18:37:42

Hi @markus2900  and Tp Link Team,

I have faced similar issues. i bought archer C6 V2.0 EU, (1.3.6 Build 20200902 rel.65591(4555) few days back. let me first explain the connection setup:
FTTH internet coming to Huawei Router(HG8245Q2) with 240Mb. 

Method 1 I used:

a) using WDS feature on 5G wifi radio of Archer C6 to connect with Huawei router.

b)Connection is successful but ping packets to Huawei router IP address(Local IP address of 192.168.100.1) would time out frequently on both wireless and lan connections no matter where you connect with archer.

c)VOIP services or VPN service to work from home does not work because of this frequent packet drops by Archer C6. This packet drop causes VPN to disconnect again and again services like CISCO WebEX or ZOOM would fail and no meeting can be joined. Even if you join it will be disconnected ot voice would start breaking.

d)Changed firmware to all available firmware on this link one by one :

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/download/archer-c6/v2/#Firmware

Method 2 i used:

a) Using Wan port of Archer C6 and connecting it VIA healthy and perfectly working CAT6 cable with Huawei router.

b) Still beavering packet loss and ping drops on both wireless and lan connections no matter where you connect with archer.

d) tried different version available on above mentioned link

e) No method Worked.

Method 3 i used:

a) Connecting healthy and perfectly working CAT6 cable to Archer C6 lan ports and Huawei router.

b) disabling DHCP giving IP same if HUAWEI router subnet etc.

d) connection successful but again packet loss or ping drops frequently on lan and WIFI 2.4G or 5g.

e) tried all different firmware as above.

Method 4 i used:

a) installing openwrt openwrt-19.07.4 on Archer C6.

b) after successful installation connected using relayed feature in openwrt to connect Huawei router via 5G wifi.

c) Connection successful and no packet drops on wireless clients on 2.4G or 5G and lan.

d) after may b 30 minutes or 45 minutes connection would drop and i had to reboot the archer or simpy resatrt the 5 g radio.

e) tested on LAN and found if works but i haven't tested it long enough for stability purpose as i dont like use openwrt.

f) Also i found that 2.4g speed on openwrt would drop to 10Mbps or so on download and 5 or 6 on upload so did not liked it at all.

Method 5 i used:

a) I used TFTP recovery method and installed a firmware released by TP link in 2018 version 1.0.1 Build 20180627 rel.42764

b) Used WDS on 5G again to test it first to connect to Huawei Router. connection was successfull

b) Packet Drop issue resolved. but another issue poped up, 2.4G WIFI speed dropped to around 10-15Mb, even after forcing channel to 40MHZ. note there was no any noise in the channel causing such a behaviour.

d) Used LAN cable setup to connect with HUAWEI router and archer lan port,  it was a success no packet drop, but still 2.4g WIFI was giving terible speed of around 10-15Mb.

Please note i also tried all other possible workaround on all above tested firmwares like disabling IPV6, disbling IGMP, disabling security disabling NAT etc. non of the workaround worked for packet drop or ping loss.

I noticed Archer C6 is droping packet when it report CPU usage more than 40, 50 percent. 

Dear TP Link team we need a proper workaround for this please share if you have already or develop it please people are suffering because of probably bad software if not hardware.
Will be waiting for a proper solution.

Thanks..

Options
2020-12-09 11:02:32

hello,

I also face the same Issue.

My laptop s connected with an Ethernet cable to the Archer and i am getting request timeouts very often.

This is very annoying when trying to work on a remote server as screen freezes again and again.

We need a proper solution soon.

Options
2020-12-10 16:06:06

@pank 

Dear all,

Tp link has no solution for this. I tested all of their firmwares non of them works.

I am now settled with openwrt firmware, which has its own pitfalls but it does not drop packets at least.

So my advise go for it.

TP link team please fix this issue in your next release many people are suffering from now with a very well known issue.

Options
2021-02-27 14:32:50

@markus2900 I have the same problem, and i don't know how to fix it, loss packet goes to 10-15 which is same as 1000 ping and more

Options
2021-02-27 14:40:36

@Tony It's not the PC, i have the same problem as the guys! The net drops for a second very often but the program that runs needs more than 15 seconds to reboot so every net drop is devastating, CAN YOU FIX IT ?? Cause the last framework doesn't do any job! Or I should just buy another router from another company and forever be a bad advertiser to this company? People are losing nerves cause of this type of things! We didn't pay to get these types of things!

Options
2021-03-01 18:31:49

@bilbil 

There has since been firmware released that is still in the beta stage that tries to resolve the connection drops.

Please reach out to your local support team here: link

Firmware is different for every region so getting the correct version is important.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 4864

Replies: 7

Related Articles