Getting very slow wifi speeds from deco m5

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-02 03:10:50
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: Last updated 10/01/2020

I bought my deco m5 (3 kit) on August 3rd, 2020.

My home is 2000 sq ft

I have 3 floors

I have 1 gb internet from Rogers. Internet speed test on deco is 900 to 930 mb/s.

I have 9 devices connected currently.

Last week I did a speed test and was getting 300 mb/s on my Samsung s20. Thats fine, I figured my phone can only connect to the 2.4ghz wifi.

However today the speed dropped to 15 mb/s! Super slow. I tried resetting my modem from rogers and updating the firmware on deco. Deco is still getting 900+ mb/s, but the wifi my phone is getting is 15 mb/s. 

Everyone else in the house is also complaining about slow wifi.

Can someone help?

Options
6 Reply
Re:Getting very slow wifi speeds from deco m5
2020-10-02 20:11:04

@Sulvera 

Go into your QoS settings and make sure the speed there is set to reflect your internet speed and not slower.

Something may now be getting in the way of the Deco signal, so try and move them closer or to an area of the least amount of obstacles. 

Another thing to try is to swap one of the satellite units with the main Deco.

Options
2020-10-02 23:57:45

@Tony 

Thanks for the reply Tony. I did another speed test before trying any of your suggestions. The speed got 330 mb/s. 

I am happy now but I'm not sure what causing the slow down in speed.

Qos setting has the bandwidth set at 933mb/s. Its also set as standard with no device set as preferred. 

I doubt its the placements of the deco as my masterbedroom has the master deco in the same room. And the night before I was having speed issues. (I will be keeping the master in my room for obvious reasons so I cannot do your suggestion about switching the slaves with the master).

I doubt its obstacles, all deco are wall mounted.

I guess I will keep an eye on the decos now that they are working. 

Options
2021-01-07 18:22:29

@Sulvera I have 3 M4's and tried your recommendation re QOS but no joy.

I have 1 Gbs service but am only getting around 110 Mbs wifi even when sitting beside the main Deco unit.

Options
2021-01-08 19:37:28

@Tony 

Hi Tony, would you have any other suggestions for improving the wifi speed? Over the holidays I've been getting constant dips in wifi speeds, can't even watch a youtube video @360p without it freezing every minute because of the weak connection/slow speeds.

Options
2021-01-08 21:09:53

@Sulvera 

I would get a hold of our support team at this point. They will be able to narrow it down for you to see what else to try.

Options
2021-02-12 06:31:44

@Tony 

Getting very slow WiFi speeds from deco m5 - one of the worst thing I have purchased I my life, please don't buy this product. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1833

Replies: 6

Related Articles