How can I configure my router to allow file transfers between wired and wireless devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

How can I configure my router to allow file transfers between wired and wireless devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-03 05:00:56
Model: Archer AX1500  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello

I would like to be able transfer files between devices but my wired devices cannot communicate with my wireless devices.

I have a ax1500

Options
5 Reply
Re:How can I configure my router to allow file transfers between wired and wireless devices
2020-10-03 20:47:52

@bravodeltacisco 

There could be many reason's for this.

Some more info might help narrow that down.

How are you trying to connect? From the 'normal' wireless SSID or the Guest one?

What 2 devices and what OS are they running? Are they on different 'workgroups' if on Windows?

What ERROR do you get or see?

Options
Re:How can I configure my router to allow file transfers between wired and wireless devices
2020-10-04 00:36:50

@IrvSp 

Hello,

I am using the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wireless networks, and I have the guest network disabled.

My desktop is running the latest version of Windows 10

My laptop is running the latest version of Windows 10

I have allowed the necessary firewall rules on each device to allow ICMPv4 and file sharing

All the necessary drives have been configured to allow sharing

Both devices are on the same Workgroup

When I ping either device I get a general failure

When I try to connect to a share on either device, It says network error; Windows cannot access "share path"

The router is brand new and has the default configuration

Options
2020-10-04 22:56:35

@bravodeltacisco 

Open a CMD prompt (Windows Key+R and enter CMD) and then enter 'net view'. In my case it looks like this:

---------------------

C:\>net view
Server Name            Remark

------------------------------------------
\\HP7855               Samba 3.0.37
\\IRV8700              Irv's 8700
\\LE-XPS8500        Le'sXPS8500
\\TP-SHARE             samba server
The command completed successfully.

-------------------

The 2nd and 3rd are PC, I'm the 2nd one. As you can see I have COMPLETE access to the disks to the 3rd entry above:

----------------

C:\>net view \\le-xps8500
Shared resources at \\le-xps8500

Le's XPS8500

Share name  Type  Used as  Comment

-----------------------------------------
C_disk      Disk
D_Drive     Disk
E_Drive     Disk
F_Drive     Disk
Users       Disk
The command completed successfully.

---------------

There are TWO reason's why.

First in SMB 1 enabled. In W10, MS has disabled this by default. See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/file-server/troubleshoot/detect-enable-and-disable-smbv1-v2-v3 for info and how to enable it.

If you HAVE it enabled, the possible cause is the PC's do NOT have a Windows Credential (Control Panel, Windows Credential) to use the PC.

I have BOTH of these and can access without problems.

Options
2020-10-05 00:17:20 - last edited 2020-10-05 00:18:10

@IrvSp 

I read your replies in another post and have already tried this.

The issue is that my wireless devices can't communicate to any other devices on the network.

I should be able to ping my laptop at the very least

Options
2020-10-05 15:50:58

@bravodeltacisco 

Connect your smartphone to the router, now ping from both computers to the smartphone. Does that work?

Also, check the IP information of your connected devices and make sure all are set to DHCP rather then static.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 592

Replies: 5