Devices connected to extender cannot resolve domains besides google

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-06 06:17:29 - last edited 2020-10-06 06:24:27
Model: RE580D  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 Build 2017114 RE 63483(US)

Setup:

- TPLINK RE580D is connected via 2.4+5GHz bands to Xfinity router.

- Three devices (desktop, playstation4, raspberry pi) are connected to the extender via ethernet.

- All other devices on the network are connected to the xfinity router directly via wifi and have no problems.

- The three devices connected to the extender can also connect to the router directly and have no problems when doing so.

- This setup was working fine for months but recently I am having DNS issues wth the extender

Problem:

- The playstation and the desktop cant resolve any domain besides google and youtube. E.g., github does not work. SSH also does not work on the desktop (to or from device). Strangely enough, the raspberry fine works ok on all domains and SSH. The problem is the same whether it is connected to the extender via ethernet or the extender via WiFI. Again, no issues happen if any of these devices are connected directly to the router via ethernet or wifi. For the purpose of troubleshooting, I disabled the extender wifi network since I only need to connect to the extender via ethernet.

- The error logs of the extender are filled with "DNS probing failed. The DUT can not get a DNS server"

- There is also some "DHCP detection failed" in the error logs.

- It seems like my issue falls into Case #2 of this faq (https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2234/). It happens with multiple devices.

Troubleshooting:

- I'd prefer the three devices to have static IP (ie, the extender should not assign them new IPs). But for troubleshooting I made the DHCP on the extender enabled. I tried several common DNS IPs such as 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as well as cloudflares, but this does not change anything.

- I tried rebooting the router via the web interface. Did nothing

- I tried rebooting the router via the power button and power cable, separately. Did nothing.

- I tried hard resetting the router with the RESET button. Did nothing

- I upgraded the firmware. Did nothing

- I spoke with the xfinity tech support for 3 hours and was escalated to their highest tier customer service (ie, directly to the backend engineers). They worked on trying to troubleshoot this for an entire day and determined nothing is wrong with the xfinity router (which is supported by the fact that all devices are fine when directly connected to the router). The problem must be with the extender.

- I checked all physical connections between the extender and the devices. They're all fine.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Options
3 Reply
Re:Devices connected to extender cannot resolve domains besides google
2020-10-06 17:52:53

@bayareadude 

Hello.  Are you using any MAC based filtering or using any feature with Port Forwarding enabled?  If so what could possibly be the issue is that with an extender the header of a device's MAC address will change. If this is the case adding the "new" MAC should resolve this concern.  

If that is not the case we would need to refer this to our system engineering team.  Please let us know and let us know if the email used as your UserID is a good contact for you.

Options
2020-10-07 02:50:41 - last edited 2020-10-07 02:53:01

Hi @Carl thanks for the input.

I do not believe I am using any MAC Filtering, but maybe the xfinity router is? The Xfinity support said they are not doing anything like this, but I am not sure I trust them.

I have since disabled DHCP on the extender for troubleshooting, as per TPLink support advice

I am using port forwarding for the raspberry pi, which does not have any issue. I have also tried disabling port forwarding altogether (just in case the raspberry pi is somehow interfering with others) though and the problem persists for the other devices. The devices with problems have no port forwarding set up for them and are on the router DHCP.

The raspberry pi has static IP (set on the router) and works ok - maybe I should change the other devices to static IP as well? I am not sure this will resolve the DNS issue though.

Please advise on how to proceed.

Thanks,

Alex

Options
2020-10-07 16:56:00

@bayareadude 

Static IPs should have no affect on DNS resolution, but it is worth a shot. It will resolve DHCP issues though as DHCP would not longer be needed with assinged statics, but you would need to actually set a static IP and not do reserved addressing as that is still DHCP, just assigning the same IP always.  Also make sure those IPs are not in the DHCP range as conflicts can potentially happen.  If you do implement statics let me know if that resolves anything if not i will refer to engineering for further insight and guideance.   

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 691

Replies: 3

Related Articles