Issue with WiFi bridging via WDS using TP-Link tutorial

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-08 14:37:44
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.3

I was a proud owner of 6 TP-Link WiFi routers. But now I have an issue with my new Archer C7.

I want to have truly mobile Internet connectivity and I want to use Archer C7 (AC1750) as a bridge to my main router (IP: 192.168.225.1) (a pocket WiFi device from China) which has Internet connection (via a SIM card). My laptop is connected to the bridging WiFi router via LAN cable. Below shows my network diagram.

I followed your bridging tutorial here but it doesn't work. However, the configuration in the tutorial does work when I replace the main router with my Samsung Galaxy S9 with Android 10 as a WiFi hotspot or with my home Internet router. 

Now here the funny thing. While I was troubleshooting, in the console UI, I decided to change my bridging Archer C7 operation mode from a router mode to an access point mode while still maintain the configuration I did following your tutorial and after the device auto rebooted, it works! I got Internet.

But recently I had to factory reset my C7 but after resetting and while trying the previous working configuration, it failed to work again. How come? I spent 5 hours but to no avail.

Under router mode, I can ping my C7 bridging router but I can't ping the main/root router. But the main/root router could detect that the bridging C7 router is connected to it.

In access point mode, the main router could also detect that the bridging C7 router is connected to it and it could assign an IP address to my laptop (IP: 192.168.225.23, default gateway: 192.168.225.1) where my laptop via LAN able with the C7 access point. But I can't ping the default gateway (.1) from my laptop and can't ping the access point (.2) too. 

Any one has any idea how to troubleshoot further?

Here're the screenshots of my configurations..

Options
5 Reply
Re:Issue with WiFi bridging via WDS using TP-Link tutorial
2020-10-08 18:18:41

@rch88 

Does the main router have 5GHz? If so, have you tried setting the WDS up with that band?

By default, the C7 either sets to 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x so I would probably try setting your IP scheme to either of those of your network rather than 255.x (just a guess).

I would also check with the main router maker to see if they have had previous routers connected to it via WDS.

Options
2020-10-09 00:13:24

@Tony No, I'll try the 5Ghz now. But the 255.X is set by the main router. I reckon we need to follow the IP from the main router, am I correct?

The main router is a loaned device with SIM card integrated. It's like a tourist pocket WiFi device. There's no name of the manufacturer on the device.

Options
2020-10-09 00:38:58
@Tony I just tried with 5Ghz, apparently it doesn't work cos the 5Ghz WDS can't find the main router, presumably it's using 2.4Ghz bandwidth.
Options
2020-10-09 20:33:40

@rch88 

I would recommend reaching out to your local support team at: www.tp-link.com so they can look into it further for you. As a note, TP-Link does not charge for technical support.

Options
2020-10-10 12:49:27 - last edited 2020-10-10 12:50:48

After troubleshooting for 2 days I fixed the problem. Need to set WDS Mode to 1 instead of Auto. See screenshot image below.

But this WDS Mode is available in Archer C7 firmware 1.0.3 and hardware v5.0 but it's not available in my Archer C6 v2.0 (AC1200). Meaning the problem is NOT solved in Archer C6.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2707

Replies: 5