Archer c9 stuck at 100mbs

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-13 10:51:28
Model: Archer C9  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I may have had this issue for years but have just noticed it after upgrading to 1gbs service along a new modem.  It looks like my router will only connect to my modem at 100mbs, so all devices on the router are never faster than 100mbs, hard or WiFi.  The router should connect to the modem at 1000mbs. 

New setup:

xfinity 1gbs (confirmed during modem to pc test; it's blazing fast)

modem arris sb8200

all cables are cat6

a modem>>router>>pc test is 94mbs. Hardline and WiFi.  I tested this while only one, two, or three devices were connected to the router. 

the arris has green and orange lights at its Ethernet ports. Green = 1000mbs connection. Orange = 100mbs connection.   I get a green light when I wire it straight to my pc, and the speed is incredible.  But I get an orange light when I wire it to my archer c9. 

I cannot find any help for this issue and it's driving me crazy. Why won't the archer connect to the modem at 1000mbs???  Can anyone help me?

Options
9 Reply
Re:Archer c9 stuck at 100mbs
2020-10-13 16:21:19

@Pavin 

Sounds like you cable between the router and modem is the problem. Either 'bad', poor contacts, or not CAT5e or better.

Options
2020-10-13 16:45:28

@IrvSp I'm using brand new cat6 cables.  the same which worked fine during the modem to pc test.  But, what if the incoming port on the router is flawed?  how would i check/fix that?

Options
2020-10-13 17:42:02
Well, I'd probably contact Support I guess? I assume this is the same cable you test between the modem and PC? I also assume that you've turned off the modem and router, connected the cables, turned the modem on, waited until it was fully up and then turned on the router and had this problem?
Options
2020-10-13 17:55:01

@Pavin 

If you've gone through every cable available which is commonly the reason why, check the firmware on the router to make sure that is up to date. Compare the build number (which is actually the date) you currently have with what is on our official website, If your router is up to date, I do a factory default on the router by holding the reset for 15 seconds, then test the speeds again. Lastly, I would reach out to support.

Options
2020-10-13 18:47:08

@IrvSp So I followed your instructions exactly and I did get a different result.

the modem ethernet light was flashing green instead of orange, which means a Gige connection with the router.  Cool.

BUT

router internet light was orange.  it didn't think it was connected to isp.

I reset the router, no change in outcome. (btw firmware build 20180125)

Then i swapped to my original patch cable between the two and started over.  Got a Gige connection, and the router got an internet connection....checked the speed and now Im at 25mbs, hardline and wifi.  

I'm a day away from giving up on TP-Link.

Options
2020-10-13 20:25:34

@Pavin 

Did you change ISP's and/or Internet Speed???

Possible your BANDWIDTH CONTROL is ON or you have the INGRESS/EGRESS speeds entered and they are too low.

Options
2020-10-14 02:57:21

@IrvSp  tested speeds are super low now. Under 25mbps. The router is reset to factory. I rechecked my speed without router and it's still 945mbps. I'm going crazy. 

Options
2020-10-14 13:23:19

@Pavin 

I've not seen an answer to 3 of my questions?

- Did you power cycle the modem and router properly after changing modem connections to router or PC?

- Did you change ISP speeds or ISP's?

- Did you check Bandwidth Control?

Options
2020-10-14 16:40:59

@IrvSp 

yes.  The modem ethernet port flashes green now, indicating a 1GigE connection to the router.

No, same ISP but faster speed, from 300mbps to 1000mbps.  Hence the new modem.

Bandwidth control is off because NAT boost is on.  However, i did turn NAT boost off and enabled bandwith conrol, setting it at the max allowable (1000000).  didn't matter.

today, I am getting speeds ranging all over the place but all under 100mbps.  I also get different test results at speedtest.net vs xfinity vs speedtest app.

it is all garbage.  the upload speed is the only constant reading (42mbps) thru all this bs.  I've checked other posts with virtually the same issues, no answers...except to get a different brand.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1212

Replies: 9

Related Articles