Archer A9 5 GHz band and speed issue on lan

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-13 14:23:07
Model: Archer A9  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I recently bought Archer A9 but the problem I am having is it's not transmitting 5 GHz Wifi, no phone is detecting 5 GHz. I have another route AC1300 but that's not Gigabit thus not giving me full speed, but that router is transmitting 5GHz and all mobiles are able to connect to that. The problem I noticed is there is less CHANNELS in A9 and I think that's causing the issue.

The other problem I am facing is when I connect my laptop with rotuer through LAN, it's not giving me full speed. My connection speed is 250 MBps but it's hardly giving me 80 MBps on wired connection. I am using same wire to connect to Fiber ONT device and there I am getting full speed.

Can anyone please guide me or any support tech can remote in to my laptop and do the settings.

Best Regards

Options
6 Reply
Re:Archer A9 5 GHz band and speed issue on lan
2020-10-13 16:19:23

@Baber-Abbasi 

First, a router should be 1GB wired port. If you are not getting a 1000Mbps connection, it probably IS your cable.

AC1300 usually means it has 2 bands, a 2.4Ghz that supports a 300Mbps connection MAX., and 5Ghz one that supports an 867Mbps connection speed. Neither will give you 1Gbps wireless.

Channel differences, well, depends where you got the Router from (Country). Not all are made to support every frequency, which could be the main problem you are seeing. Still, it should work on any frequency you can select, baring congestion and interference on the frequency.

When you change routers, you should delete/forget the old connections, especially if you are using the SAME SSID (which I suspect you are) and PASSWORD. If you didn't, the device(s) are looking for the SSID on the old frequency.

Device being used for wireless, and distance from Router makes a big difference. The above CONNECTION speeds I mentioned above are the MAX. you could get. Usually less, as much as 50% in some cases. 250Mbps on a 2.4Ghz band isn't bad if your ISP is supplying 300Mbps or more.

Options
2020-10-13 21:21:12

@IrvSp yes the router supports 1 GBps wired connection (WAN port is Gigabit). The same wire I am using to connect my laptop from ONT and getting speed of 250 MBps but when I connect laptop with router using same wire, I am hardly getting 80 to 90 MBps.

For wireless, router only showing me 5 channels and I feel that's the problem, because the old AC1300 had 13 bands.

Btw, I purchased TP Link Archer A9 from Karachi, Pakistan.

One more question, does the laptop wifi support speed upto 250 mbps? Because few of my laptops only show 78 Mbps connection speed on wifi.

Thanks,

Baber

Options
2020-10-13 21:50:50

@Baber-Abbasi 

With the 5G having five channels, it's not that anything is wrong it is just that the router only utilized the first band of the 5G channels. For example, the AX50 uses all four 5G bands including DFS channels so it has way more selections. The Archer A7 also uses the first 5G band of channels as well.

Even though you tested the Ethernet cable I would still swap it with a different one

Options
2020-10-13 22:01:59

@Baber-Abbasi 

You might want to look here, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels#5_GHz_or_5.9_GHz_(802.11a/h/j/n/ac/ax), and you'll see the possible channels that a router can support on 5Ghz. Depending on where the router was made (or purchased) you might not get every possible channel.

I have a US Tri-Band and my 5-1Ghz has ONLY 4 channels, 36, 40, 44, and 48. It supports 80Mhz width as well. Same for my Hi-speed 2n 5Ghz channels. Suspect you have a 20Mhz channel width, hence more bands.

The A9 emulator on the Support D/L page shows the same number of 5Ghz channels, but significantly more on 2.4Ghz. Are you confusing the two and expecting more?

Baber-Abbasi wrote

@IrvSp yes the router supports 1 GBps wired connection (WAN port is Gigabit). The same wire I am using to connect my laptop from ONT and getting speed of 250 MBps but when I connect laptop with router using same wire, I am hardly getting 80 to 90 MBps.

Normally speed is writen in 'bits' using the lower case 'b'. The upper case 'B' means Bytes, and you'd need to multiply by 8 to reach bits, but I suspect you really do mean Mbps.

Maybe you did mean Bytes as 250MBps does equal 1,000Mbps or a GB speed, just want to be sure.

Do you have QoS on and you have the bandwidth set too low? That page uses Mbps, not NBps, so is it possible you missed that point and entered 100MBps instead of 1000Mbps?

Baber-Abbasi wrote

For wireless, router only showing me 5 channels and I feel that's the problem, because the old AC1300 had 13 bands.

Btw, I purchased TP Link Archer A9 from Karachi, Pakistan.

The 2.4Ghz band has 13 bands, are you confusing that with the 5Ghz band?

Baber-Abbasi wrote

One more question, does the laptop wifi support speed upto 250 mbps? Because few of my laptops only show 78 Mbps connection speed on wifi.

Now you are asking about mbps (Mbps) or MBps? reguardless, this is a device issue. What is the 802.11 speed rating? N speed would top out near 300Mbps or less on 2.4Ghz band. Not much better on 5Ghz. An AC device should also get the same 2.4Ghz speed, but reach easily over 600Mbps (IF the incoming speed is 1Gbps. Distance, channel, home construction, and interference from other devices/signals can deteriorate the speed. Without knowing the hardware, the SSID frequency used, and other info I can't really answer this.

Options
2020-10-13 22:36:09

@IrvSp Sorry for confusing MBps with Mbps, I am beginner in this field.

My router is showing 36, 40, 44 & 48 bands and channel width of 20, 40 and 80 MHz. I am sitting beside the router so no hindrance there. 

I just replaced the wire (as suggested) and connected router with laptop with CAT 6 wire and now it's giving me 440 Mbps down and 286 Mbps up. The only problem I am facing is no devices are detecting 5 GHz SSID and the speed on 2.4 GHz is way too slow. Some asked about QoS, that's disabled in the route setting and no bandwidth limit is set.

You mentioned to check the speed of N or AC of router, how can I check that? My router box says it supports 600 Mbps on 2.4 GHz and 1300 Mbps on 5 GHz.

Let me show you the speedtests of different devices.

Speedtest on laptop with wired connection through router:

Speedtest on laptop on Wifi:

Speedtest on mobile phone:

Options
2020-10-13 23:49:20

@Baber-Abbasi 

You are asking questions, and that is good. But other than the screenshots, no h/w info other than the router you have.

First, under NORMAL circumstances, hard wired, that is an Ethernet cable between the device under test and connected to the router LAN port or the output of the Modem should be the SAME results USING the SAME cable in both tests.

Is this happening? Yes, GOOD, we know the cable can provide the speed then. Next with the Router inbetween the modem and PC. Speed the same as before? No? Need to figure out why, but again, when you connect a different device to a modem, everything has to be powered down and brought up in order, modem first.

Wireless... MEANLESS numbers without h/w data. You can discover the 'device name' in Windows Device Manager which is the MODEL.

Still, need to KNOW which SSID and the BAND it is connected too. I hope you DO NOT have Smart Connect enabled as that messes up things.

Also, to test the signal, I'd suggest get Acrylic Home (Google for it) as it is a NETWORK ANALYZER that will show you the power of the SSID and others around you as well as the band it is on. Here is mine:

The

The

The 3 'a-----x' SSID's are mine. As you can see, I'm on the a----5-2 and so are 2 other nearby routers, however I have a much stronger signal so they do NOT interfere.

It seems FIBERLINK-PK is your ISP and you are in Pakistan. Normally you shouldn't post your IP Address, block it out next time.

If you have Fiber, usually they are Symetrical, same down and up speed? Is that the case for your ISP?

Here are some links that might interest you:

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/what-does-ac1200-ac1900-ac3200-mean

https://www.speedguide.net/faq/what-is-the-actual-real-life-speed-of-wireless-374

This next one is very deep and comprehensive (read that as technical). I might be hard to 'digest' though.

https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html

Bottom line, Wireless is so variable, you can't count on getting a solid number on any device using the same Wireless SSID. Mobile devices will even vary depending where they are.

I've got 2 wireless PC's about 10 feet from the router. They are using RealTek USB Wireless adapters, both are AC 802.11 speed (one connects at  867Mbps, the other ar 1300Mbps due to different chipsets) devices on the same SSID. Both are USB 3.0 devices. One gets around 350Mbps down, the other 410Mbps.Both have 'problems' it seems. Sometimes they can't determine they can connect at USB 3.0 and will drop down to USB 2.0. USB 2.0 is limited to 480Mbps and that will reduse the speed down to 250Mbps or so (large overhead and you can't get the Theoretical speed of 480Mbps).

Wifi has too many variables to state a positive speed you will get. However with no direct h/w info I can't even tell what speed you should be getting?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1205

Replies: 6