Connect DECO M5 to TP-link Archer A6 wifi router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-17 14:38:20
Model: Archer A6  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I recently purchased the DECO M5 mesh with 3 devices.  It works great.  I need additional cat5 connections for other devices.

I also have an Archer A6 wifi router.  Can I connect my router to the modem and then connect my DECO unit to the router?

Options
6 Reply
Re:Connect DECO M5 to TP-link Archer A6 wifi router
2020-10-19 17:16:37

@CW_knights4 

Yes, set the A6 to Access Point mode (Advanced > Operation Mode), and connect the Deco to the WAN port of the A6. You should be able to use the LAN ports from the A6 for wired connections. If the performance of the Deco drops since installing the A6, disable the Wi-Fi of the A6. 

Options
2020-10-20 01:33:56

@Tony thanks for the information.  I currently have the A6 connected to the DECO unit acting as the router.  Wifi seems to be good.  I'll change it to be the way you suggested to see if the wifi changes.

Regards. CW.

Options
2020-10-21 16:35:23

@CW_knights4 

That setup is fine as well so there isn't a wrong way, just whichever works best for you or easiest.

Options
2020-10-23 00:24:24

@Tony I setup the A6 as an access point but there is no internet for other devices.  My DECO wifi works.  Maybe I missed something in setup or is that how it works?

Options
2020-10-23 22:31:10

@CW_knights4 

Take the Ethernet cable from the Archer A6 WAN port and connect that to a computer to test to make sure the Deco is providing an internet connection. 

If that checks out, connect the Ethernet cable back to the WAN port of the A6. Now for the wired devices, when you connect to one of the LAN ports of the A6, what IP address does the device get?

Options
2020-10-24 02:50:31

@Tony DECO wifi was giving an internet connection.  I will see if my wired devices (pc and security camera) gives an IP address and respond back.

Options