Votes

Ethernet (wired) backhaul for OneMesh products

Votes

Ethernet (wired) backhaul for OneMesh products

101 Reply
Re:Ethernet (wired) backhaul for OneMesh products
2021-10-17 17:17:25

I am waiting for this feature for a couple of months as well. I also created an topic regarding this but it apparently got deleted? Or at least i can't open it anymore. ( https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/266458 )

@JP_NL: "if you want this feature just put your current hardware in the trash and buy Deco." 

Before i do this i'll follow your advice and put them in the trash but select another vendor for my future network needs...

Options
2021-10-17 21:10:48

Whats the point of having a "Feature Request" Forum if mods or devs dont reply to it?

It would be nice to have feedback. 

Options
2021-11-28 19:13:55

@JP_NL 

I am also disappointed with the tp-link. One mesh is totally failed until we get wired backhaul. Please, someone, respond to our feature request. 

Options
2021-11-29 01:23:02

Another disappointed user. RE505 ended up being an expensive repeater. Blame on you TP LINK

Options
2021-12-30 16:17:43

For anyone owning a OneMesh capable router and still interested in achieving wired ethernet backhaul, I posted a working solution in the OneMesh Ethernet Backhaul thread.  Please read carefully.  The solution uses the TL-WPA8631P powerline adapter but does not use any powerline network.  Likewise, it only supports Wifi 5 / AC (no Wifi 6 / AX for mesh nodes), but I think it's worth it to get 802.11k+802.11v roaming over wired ethernet backhaul.  For my existing devices, the real world wifi performance difference between the AX1500 of the RE505X and AC1200 of the TL-WPA8631P would be marginal (or even nonexistent in the case of AC only devices).  To clarify, my main (AX73) router continues to support Wifi 6 / AX and provide the bulk of wifi coverage while the TL-WPA8631P adapters supplement the wifi network with Wifi 5 / AC mesh nodes.  Hope this helps anyone who had previously been longing for ethernet backhaul mesh support.

Options
2022-01-08 13:39:59

@Tony I'm also disappointed that there is not wired backhaul!

I specifically bought an Archer A8 and 2x RE230 that I planned to use as access points.

I'm returning everything and switching to an AVM FritzBox set.

Disappointing so many customers just to force us to go for Deco??

Options
2022-01-08 15:36:30

@NastyNick 

I completely agree that the lack of broad OneMesh support for ethernet backhaul is disappointing.  That said, before returning your Archer A8, you may want to consider trying the TL-WPA8631P Kit to build out a OneMesh network.  I've outlined a method for using the TL-WPA8631P adapters with ethernet backhaul in the OneMesh Ethernet Backhaul thread.  Note, this method uses ethernet only and completely disregards the powerline networking features built into the TL-WPA8631P.

Although the TL-WPA8631P only supports Wifi 5, it's rated at AC1200 which outperforms the AC750 of the RE230 extenders you purchased.  The downside is that a single TL-WPA8631P Kit retails for $119.99 USD which is substantially more expensive than the $29.99 retail price of the RE230.  Unfortunately, the TL-WPA8631P is only sold in a bundled kit including an additional TL-PA8010P powerline adapter (for a base connection when used in a powerline network configuration) and cannot be purchased as a standalone unit.  However, I purchased "renewed" (refurbished) TL-WPA8631P Kits from Amazon (US) for $89.99 USD which reduced the purchase price somewhat.  The units I received were repackaged in bulk (non-retail) packaging but essentially in brand new condition.  I suspect these kits are often returned after their original owners are disappointed by the lackluster performance of the advertised AV1300 powerline networking speeds.  In other words, there have been no inherent issues with the refurbished units I received and they work very well for ethernet backhaul purposes (as the powerline functionality is irrelevant).  Anyone purchasing these kits may either try to resell the bundled TL-PA8010P powerline adapters to further reduce their purchase costs or employ them for other purposes within their home network.

I am strongly encouraging all owners of OneMesh capable routers to consider the ethernet backhaul capability of the TL-WPA8631P adapters as I don't want OneMesh adoption to fizzle out and die.  It's my hope that, by having more users demonstrate the demand for OneMesh ethernet backhaul capability, TP Link will revert their stance and officially add ethernet backhaul support in future OneMesh products and firmware upgrades to existing OneMesh products.

Options
2022-02-02 21:02:08
I got the same problem, I've bought the Archer A6 and the RE205 hopping it will work using cable to crate OneMesh, honestly I'm a bit dissapinted. TP-Link please consider releasing and update to patch this.
Options
2022-02-06 23:47:55

Really Sad, I purchased 3x Archer AX11000 to replace my Orbi 800 series mesh router and all I can do is setup AP mode with wired backhaul. Well let's see, maybe I'll be going back to the Orbi if this doesn't work out well.

Options
2022-02-15 22:48:38

@JP_NL I'd appreciate some ethernet backhaul to turbo my RE550.  While I'm new to "mesh" I was surprised and disappointed the ethernet port is not available for this.  Hopefully the ethernet port can be with a firmware upgrade?

thanks!!

Options

Voters 55

+ 51 Voters