Does Deco work with a VPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-19 18:25:23
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Is it advisable to use a VPN with the Deco M9+ mesh? I was scammed (yes, I'm an idiot) and want to be sure now that I have the strongest protection possible for my Network. I have AVAST security, which monitors my network, but wonder if I need a VPN as well. I've tried searching TP-link site and elsewhere online, and can't find a solid answer. Any help much appreciated. 

Options
2 Reply
Re:Does Deco work with a VPN
2020-10-21 21:16:54 - last edited 2020-10-21 21:18:01

@kbdb79 

The M9 has a VPN passthrough, meaning any of your client devices that run a VPN will not be blocked by the Deco so no additional configurations would be needed.

A VPN will help keep your activities private so if someone gets on your network, they won't be able to cipher the packets being sent from your VPN to the internet. 

If you use various public hotspots or hotels, having a VPN your phone or computer uses would be recommended.

With respect to your home network, my worry would be that in using a VPN it is additional overhead so it will affect your speed. Having the Avast I think should be good enough, but if you would be at more peace of mind, then go with the VPN. It could be the speed won't both you for what you use it for.

To clarify, if your laptop say used a VPN connection, only that laptop would be slow, the rest of the devices not on the VPN wouldn't be affected.

Options
Re:Does Deco work with a VPN
2022-01-27 10:23:03
Options