M5 Mesh and Ring Doorbell

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-21 15:36:50
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Is there a known issue with Deco Mesh networks Ring Doorbells?

I have a Ring Door View Cam (Peephole cam), when connected to my Deco M5 Mesh network is constantly connects and disconnects. I have setup noticifications on Connection and Disconnections for the Ring Doorbell.

I have tried connecting to the main M5 network with only 2.4Ghz, beamforming on/off, fast roaming on/off and Mesh on/off on the device only (all combinations had no affect).  I have tried connecting it to the Guest Network with the pervious configurations still no affect still continues to connect and disconnect continuously.

The only "tempory" solution I have found is to get my old Archer router out and create a separate network and connect the Ring Doorbell to that.

Options
11 Reply
Re:M5 Mesh and Ring Doorbell
2020-10-22 18:57:28

@JonKong 

When enabling the guest network you need to disable one wireless band, so only have the 2.4G enabled, not both. The Ring device will keep jumping back and forth networks causing the drop.

Options
2020-10-22 19:13:16

@Tony sorry I should have explained, I did set to only 2.4Ghz but it still keeps disconnecting.

Ring sent me a replacement, which does exactly the same thing. I have sent up an automation to notify when it connects and disconnects. It's about every 2 to 3 minutes.

Attached is the history for this evening.

File:
Screenshot_20201022-201209_Deco.jpgDownload
Options
2020-10-23 22:16:56

@JonKong 

If disconnections keep happening on a single band you can try swapping the main Deco with another to see if that is the culprit. If disconnects continue, I would recommend following up with support.

Options
2020-11-10 22:02:54 - last edited 2020-12-28 13:10:03

@Tony thank you for your reply. I have swapped my main Deco for one of the others, the disconnecting it still happening constantly.

Options
2020-12-28 11:41:06

@JonKong Have you had any luck fixing this, as I have exactly the same issue.  Only recently bought the M5 Mesh System, and with notifications turned on mine is also connecting and disconnecting frequently (ever few minutes). I have done all of the things suggested, guest network, turn off 5Ghz, turn off beamforming, and fast roaming.....

Options
2020-12-28 13:08:41

@Maver1ck74 no I haven't, my only solution was to dig out my old TP-LINK router and plug it into one of my M5s. I've set up a new 2.4ghz network and connected my Ring to that.  TP-Link haven't offered any working solutions for the M5 and Ring.

Options
2020-12-28 14:59:37

@JonKong Real shame TP-Link and Ring aren't working together to resolve this. Have now setup a old Dlink Router as an access point, and seems to be working better. Thanks for the advice

Options
2021-04-29 16:45:06

I have same issue. Just got the M5 the other day withe premise that it would support Ring better than the previous 2 Netgear routers that I've tried. Based on scouting the web on the subject, it sounds like a Ring issue. A lot of ppl out there are having this same issue where Ring is flooding their wifi network, regardless of the router type. I'm grateful that you've shared your solution of separating your network and placing Ring on a different one. I will try it. Thank you!

Options
2021-08-29 02:48:03

Just to add my solution... I had a problem setting up my Ring doorbell to my TP Link. I narrowed it down to the Ring doorbell not supporting the mesh system. I ended up getting a NetGear wifi extender and hardwiring it to my TP Link Router. From there I simply set a password on the wifi extender by typing the IP Address into a web browser and then setting up my Ring doorbell using using the network created by the wifi extender. Hope the helps someone. 

Options
2022-02-16 16:53:47

@JonKong 

so I have a similar though not exact issue.   Mine disconnects maybe once or twice daily...I'm using Deco Mesh specifically for the ring and only my phone and laptop use that network...nothing select. I did that specifically so it would have dedicated and strong wifi connectivity.  But I also set up alerts and it seems like once or twice a day or every few days at minimum, that I get the notice that "my simple link" has disconnected and then my ring device has disconnected.  Without a minute or two they both Re-connect on their own...but I just don't get why they disconnect at all.  There seems to be no indications of any problems with the Deco Mesh set up that I can see

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4142

Replies: 11

Related Articles