M5 Mesh and Ring Doorbell

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

M5 Mesh and Ring Doorbell

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
11 Reply
Re:M5 Mesh and Ring Doorbell
2022-08-04 13:14:06 - last edited 2022-08-04 13:16:27

I've been struggling with the Deco M5, Ring Doorbell 3 Plus, and 2x Ring Chime (2nd generation) for over a year, and I think I finally fixed it.

First, a bit of context: until now, the doorbell used to disconnect and turn off randomly every 2~3 days. Chimes also disconnected randomly, not as frequently as the doorbell, but at least once a month. I had to unscrew the lid and do a hard reboot on the doorbell twice a week, at least. I've tried almost everything: disabled 5Ghz, disabled mesh, disabled other advanced features, added address reservation for every device, and so on. I've even dug up an old TP-Link router to set an exclusive network for Ring products without success. RSSI was always around -65, even if a Deco was 1 foot away from the doorbell. As I imported the devices from the US on my own, Ring support couldn't send me a new one overseas because there's no official Ring seller here in my country.

I decided to go back to my old doorbell, but one month ago, I checked the Deco app and noticed new options on device settings: "Connection preference" and "Preferred Deco." I locked every Ring device on 2.4Ghz and the closer Deco router, and finally, I got -42 RSSI on the doorbell. The connection has been flawless for more than 30 days, and I couldn't be more relieved.

I don't know if any of these advanced configurations below are helping or not but I don't want to mess with it. Here's my current setup:

- IPTV/VLAN: Disabled

- Mac Clone: Disabled

- Address Reservation: every Ring has its static IP

- Port forwarding: none

- DDNS: Disabled

- SIP ALG: Disabled

- UPNP: Enabled

- Fast roaming: Enabled

- Beamforming: Enabled

- Operation mode: Wi-Fi Router

- Firmware version: 1.6.0 Build 20220525 Rel. 48298

On every Ring device setting:

- Preferred band: 2.4GHz

- Preferred Deco: (the closes to the device)

- Mesh: disabled

I hope it helps someone.

Options