New Deco M5 basic questions ....

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-22 04:34:55
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.3.15

I just received my Deco M5 3-pack, and now I have some questions ...

1) Is there a way to measure the signal strength to optimize each Deco location in the house ?, I mean a way to walk through the house looking at singel strength and choose the best option ?

2) Do I need to turn off the WiFi from my modem ? ... it is worthy ? ...can modem wifi and Decos work together EFFICIENTLY ?

3) There is an alert of firmware update available...but ... I saw several entries in the forum that their connection went slower after update ...can you comment ?

4) Is there a way to know to which Deco my mobile device (cell phone or tablet) is connected to ?

Thanks for you candid answers ! 

Options
3 Reply
Re:New Deco M5 basic questions ....
2020-10-22 21:21:17

@Mau70 

1. To measure the signal strength, download a Wi-Fi analyzer on your phone. Make note of the MAC address of the units to know what network is what as you will see multiple instances of the network which can get confusing. The Deco will recommend what node to connect to and your devices will ultimately make the decision on what to connect to.

2. You don't, but I would like to test to see if the Wi-Fi speed is slower since the modem Wi-Fi would be interfering. Both can work, but they will work independently of each other, not as one single network.

3. If your Deco system runs fine, then look at the release notes of the update, if none are critical then you do not need to update. 

4. In the Deco app, tap on the globe icon, then on any Deco, which will tell you what is connected to what. 

Options
2020-10-23 00:01:22

@Tony  Thanks, I wll try all you suggest ! :)

Options
2020-10-23 12:56:38 - last edited 2020-10-23 12:57:36

@Mau70 

Hi

3) I would recommend to put your modem (router) on bridge mode.

In that case, Tp-link will be your main wi-fi and no need for modem. 

In my case, our ISP provided router with GPON and since TP-LINK can't use GPON, I use ISP router as bridge and Tp-link does everything, so just 1 wi-fi name for all wi-fi connections

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 685

Replies: 3

Related Articles