Newest Deco M9 Plus firmware breaks WeMo switch connectivity

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-27 02:29:12 - last edited 2021-01-30 22:14:21
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: V1_200918

The latest update to firmware Deco M9 Plus(US)_V1_200918 went generally fine, EXCEPT it broke the connectivity of my WeMo wifi switches that had been previously working just fine. I have 2 and they both stopped working at the same time. They are V1 light switch models with firmware WeMo_WW_2.00.11408.PVT-OWRT-LS. Both exhibit the same symptom of not being able to connect to wifi and be seen by the app. The other WeMo devices I own continued to operate without issue. Rolling the Deco FW back to the prior version, Deco M9 Plus(US)_V1_1.4.2_200821, fixed the issue.

I saw the new firmware had changes to address wifi security, however changing the encryption type to the "more compatible" choice did not resolve the issue. Likewise, attempting to turn off fast roaming had no effect.

Any idea what caused this and will there be a resolution in future FW versions?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Newest Deco M9 Plus firmware breaks WeMo switch connectivity-Solution
2020-12-02 14:27:24 - last edited 2021-01-30 22:14:21

Looks like Deco M5 1.5.1 Build 20201022 Rel. 66804 breaks Wemo as well.

It was broken during the summer, and I backed down to 1.4.x, then upgraded again to 1.5.x and seemed fine, but the latest release breaks Wemo.

UPDATE: I turned off beamforming in 1.5.1 and it allowed my Wemos to connect again. Beamforming seems to cause issues with selective Wemos on the same AP. Not sure if it's because the AP is trying to beamform to too many devices?

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:Newest Deco M9 Plus firmware breaks WeMo switch connectivity-Solution
2020-12-02 14:27:24 - last edited 2021-01-30 22:14:21

Looks like Deco M5 1.5.1 Build 20201022 Rel. 66804 breaks Wemo as well.

It was broken during the summer, and I backed down to 1.4.x, then upgraded again to 1.5.x and seemed fine, but the latest release breaks Wemo.

UPDATE: I turned off beamforming in 1.5.1 and it allowed my Wemos to connect again. Beamforming seems to cause issues with selective Wemos on the same AP. Not sure if it's because the AP is trying to beamform to too many devices?

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Newest Deco M9 Plus firmware breaks WeMo switch connectivity
2021-01-30 22:14:16

@coolspot18 looks like that trick did it. I tried turning off the beam forming setting and now everything happily stays connected.

No idea why that setting would break it. Beamforning worked before on my M9s and on my previous router. Must be some bug in the newest FW. 

Options
2021-02-01 20:43:35

Your discovery may also fix a (related) problem I've had for a few weeks. I bought some KP-115 smart plugs with monitoring and they work perfectly well on my Deco M9 Plus system, but I have a Sense home energy monitor unit that doesn't get along with the KP-115s. The KP-115s (3 of them) installed and work fine with the Kasa app, but the Sense app only saw them for a day or two, then loses them completely. I can recover them in the Sense app by unplugging the KP-115 and re plugging it, but that wasn't convenient. After shutting off the beamforming option in the Deco router, the KP-115s all came back online in Sense! It's been only 4 hours, so I may be jumping to conclusions that the problem is cured, but they were missing for 3 weeks.

Options
2021-02-02 17:30:02

My Sense units lost all three KP-115s again after about 6 hours. It has been 18 hours since Sense stopped seeing them, so it looks like they won't come back on their own. I'm not sure whether to re enable beamforming or leave it shut off. I have a lot of wifi clients (~70, mostly IoT devices) and it might be better to not use beamforming.

Options
2021-03-01 16:26:39

@Cmcook 

I found a solution that works with the latest software (1.4.3 build 20200921 rel 42500) with Fast Roaming and Beamforming enabled.

I've set Address Reservations for all the Wemo devices. After being included in the address reservation list they lose connection once each, as was previously experienced. Programming each device again after it was added to the reservation list renders it stable. 

The Wemo devices have remained connected for several days now, with full function, through multiple cable modem and Deco M9 (main and satillite) reboots.

It might be worth noting that I have all the Wemo devices connected to a guest network operating only at 2.4GHz with security set to WPA2-PSK [AES] + WPA-PSK [TKIP].

Options
2021-03-01 20:33:32

@wrenmon 

well that sure is strange. My firmware version is older than what you show, which is also older than the most recent firmware on the TP Link site. However the app and accessing the device at the router IP address all show I have the most recent firmware.

guess I'll have to try and manually update. Would be helpful since it suposidly fixes the Zoom blocking issue. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1743

Replies: 6