Deco M9 Plus keeps switching iPhones from 5GHz to. 2.4GHz

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-27 14:43:21
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.4.3 Build20200921

Didn't find exactly same topic. There is a simillar topic but seems not read by TP-Link staff. Hope this post can draw some attention.

I just switched o Deco M9 Plus and noticed that the router frequently switches 3 out of 4 iphones and 1 Fire TV from 5GHz to 2.4GHz. All other computers, the 4th iphone, ipad, echo dot, etc, seems stable at 5GHz.

On the affected iphones, if I do a network reset and connect to the router again, it initially connects to 5GHz but then switches to 2.4GHz at some (random) point.

I read that this might be feature to best utilize the bandwidth. However, sometimes even I start media streaming but it doesn't switch back to 5GHz.

And for other devices, even they don't use much internet for a long time (ipads, one iphone, echo dot, etc, in sleep mode), they are still assigned to 5GHz, why the router frequently change the connection to these few iphone and fire tv? even if this is a feature, it does not do a consistent job.

using a guest network to split 5G and 2.4G is not a good solution as I have 2.4G devices such as printer.

I tried a Netgear Orbi AC2200 and had no such problem at all. Haven't found any permanent solution yet. I am very sure if this is the firmware issue or hardware issue (this unit only). but strong suggest TP-link put high priority on those features that are really needed by customers.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco M9 Plus keeps switching iPhones from 5GHz to. 2.4GHz
2020-10-27 21:50:05

@magicview 

If there is a preference for certain bands I would recommend using a router which you are able to control what connects to what.

There have been requests in the past which we have forwarded similar feedback to our developers.

Currently, as it stands the Deco will recommend the band best suited based on the needs of the device itself, the final decision to connect to a particular network will be up to the device itself. 

I know on a PC you can modify the adapter properties to prefer the 5G, but I do not think Apple products have that option.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1096

Replies: 1