PA4010P odd internal network setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-30 15:52:14 - last edited 2020-10-30 15:55:36
Model: TL-PA4010P KIT  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version:

So i have a setup of 4 powerline devices, all of them being PA4010P.

Lets name them P1 through P4 for easier illustration of the issue.

P2, P3 and P4 are the closest together in terms of wiring lenght. All of the devices are paired together using tpplc software.

Now if i connect to the router, wired to the P2 powerline, i can ping all other routers, connected to the network. tpplc also sees all powerline adapters connected together.

Now if i move over to P1 connected router,. when i run the tpplc software, i can only see P1 to P3, but P4 is missing. Pinging also confirms, that P1 cannot access P4.

This results in internet not working on the P4 location, since it cannot access P1 (which also acts as a gateway with internet modem connected) and no DHCP, since i run DHCP on P1 connected router.

Switching primary powerline within tpplc software does not help, i cannot get any connection between p1 and p4. But P2, P3 and P4 are all accessable with eachother and can be pinged. 

Switcing for example P3 and P4 adapter, issues still persists on the same location. Routers are all running latest openwrt.

What could be the issue here? The only way i can reach P4 location from P1 is to SSH into the P2 route and ping router P4. As if P2 P3 P4 created a seperate internal network where P4 cannot directly access P1.

So anything i can do to mitigate this?

Options
5 Reply
Re:PA4010P odd internal network setup
2020-10-30 17:53:14

@hojnikb 

Honestly I would start with a re-pairing of all 4 units.  Hold the pair button on each unit for 30 seconds then press the pair button on each unit for one 1 second starting with the base unit.  Alternativly since you are using the tpPLC app you can use the Powerline password printed on the label of each of the remote units and add them to the pairing though the app.

Options
2020-10-30 19:23:34

@Carl 

Looks like the units are too far apart to work correctly somehow. When i plugged all 4 of them in the same building, they all work flawlessly without the issues mention above. Looks like i'll have to bridge the last router with something else than powerline. 

Options
2020-11-02 21:58:41

@hojnikb 

Same building?  So are you trying to wire the 4 units in seperate buildings?

Options
2020-11-03 06:13:59

@Carl 

Different buildings but part of the same circuit breaker, so it shouldn't be an issue, other than wire distance.

Options
2020-11-03 19:33:27

@hojnikb 

Different buildings usually indicates sub-panels.  If there are sub-panels that is the issue.  if not then it could be a distance issue.  300 meters on wire is the maximum distance.  This is reduced by overhead and load, as well as quality of lines.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 463

Replies: 5