AX10/AX1500 VR game streaming stuttering

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

AX10/AX1500 VR game streaming stuttering

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
164 Reply
Re:AX10/AX1500 VR game streaming stuttering
2021-01-10 19:52:40

Just bought the AX50 router. The AX mode is terrible right now. Stutters all the time on Virtual Desktop. I can play with the AC mode with almost no stuttering, but I could also do that with my old router. The main reason I bought this router was to use the speed of the AX connection on VR.

This is quite frustrating. I tried many different settings on both the router and the app, nothing changed. Is there a fix in the works or something? Else I might just have to return the router.

Options
2021-01-10 20:44:06

@Kaduwall this issue is more than 2 months old, and the only update made things worse.

I moved my TPLINK to another location since I could not return it.  I've since used a Xiaomi AX router with 0 issues, even with multiple devices connected. If you can return yours, I think that might be the more prudent option.  Buying an AX router only to use the lesser AC option just to make things run at an acceptable performance is really not an option.

Options
2021-01-11 06:01:19

@Kaduwall return it, the fix isn't coming. 

Options
2021-01-11 07:23:42

Hello @Carl,

As I'm sure you might have guessed, many of us are waiting on any sort of update. It's been about a month since we last heard from you, and if you read these messages more and more are continuing to express a feeling that TP-Link as a company has abandoned this issue, and us along with it.

Please update as soon as possible.

Options
2021-01-11 21:07:30 - last edited 2021-01-11 22:58:40

@Gmadu1993 I reached out to their support and they gave me some tips like changing the MTU size to 1305, changing the 2.4ghz and 5ghz channels to specific ones instead of auto, changing the channel width and setting the encryption to TKIP

I set the 2.4ghz channel to 1 and width to 20 mhz, mode without the ax

And the 5ghz channel to 128 (DFS) and 160mhz width, mode with the ax

There's an improvement for me but the network spikes and stutter still happen.

They also suggested changing the dns to 8.8.8.8 (Google's) but that didn't change much I think.

I'm still playing with the settings inside Virtual Desktop to see what gets me the best performance. Also asking the support to see if they have any more ideas.

I hate when things don't work well out of the box and need a lot of tweaking though. Still think this is either a firmware or hardware issue.

I've considered the Xiaomi Mi Router AX1800 but I read that it doesn't have 160mhz width. And only some very expensive Asus routers are available in my country :(

There's also the Huawei Ax3, I've heard good things about it. Anyone got any experience with it?

*EDIT: did some more testing, disabling the AX mode is by far still the best solution. And not using the AX mode makes this router useless to me.

*EDIT2: tried with an old archer C60 router that I had here, and even though it doesn't have a gigabit port (max 100mb) the connection was MUCH more stable and it didn't have any stutter (90 fps, 30mb bittrate on VD)

After some more research I think I'll just give up on the Wifi-6 AX tech for now and maybe just grab a Tenda AC10 Router which seems to be very recommended for Virtual Desktop. Way cheaper and more reliable from what ppl said.

Options
2021-01-12 07:10:57

@Kaduwall I tried jumping through all the hoops, which I did not do with the Xiaomi 3600.  Granted the controls are better on the TPLINK and I've been a long-time user on a personal and professional basis, but this AX series is clearly a miss.

My experience between using the AC on the AX50 and the AX on the AX3600 was that latency was much, much lower across the board (typically 20-21 vs 23-24 -- this adds up as it is only network latency and you need to account for game+encoding latency as well as reported by the performance overlay of VD).

Best of all, the AX3600 worked without any hardcore optimization -- I've since used it casually with other AC/AX devices connected to 5ghz, whereas I tried using just the Quest 2 exclusively on the AX50, to no avail.

Given the lack of updates, I am more likely to believe that the fault lies beyond just software optimization.  I'm still hopeful that things will get better though, as I still have my AX50.

Options
2021-01-12 07:40:26

@gren77 Yes it will be unfortunate news to hear if it is indeed a hardware fault. Judging by the AWOL tech support on this forum, it's not encouraging for those of us who still have these routers.

Thanks for commenting, I'm pretty sure this thread is getting pretty close to their most active and commented forum thread. 

Options
2021-01-12 10:59:36

@Gmadu1993 Luckily for then, I cannot return it anymore.... :( Very sad about lack of support. Given the history of AX10 working previously, I think it might be resolved by firmware. Nonetheless, AX50 never worked right. Tech response time are lame to say the least on this matter. As it seems they are trying to blame Oculus for their faulty product. 

Options
2021-01-12 11:23:32
The ONLY solution is to return it, which I did. It’s probably a great router feature wise, but if your intended use is VR using virtual desktop, IT DOES NOT WORK! I would test it on beat sabre (demo is free) or synth riders where continual scrolling shows the issues very easily and as shown in YouTube video I uploaded. I reverted to using the standard BT Hub supplied with my broadband and it works flawlessly on 5Ghz. I use a separate WiFi hotspot for all other devices which also works flawlessly for VR.
Options
2021-01-14 02:02:46

I was hoping to hear if there's any more updates coming. I bought the router before Christmas, and set it up afterwards, and like others in here have attempted to use ax but it is just a massively stuttery mess in virtual desktop. I am really hoping to hear more from the developers, as the talk of newer firmware just making it worse sounds awful.

I can see this thread is still somewhat active, so I'm hoping to hear more from carl and see if there's any work going on to remedy this, because currently I can't use the product as the wifi 6 signal is simply too jumpy.

Options
Related Articles