AX10/AX1500 VR game streaming stuttering

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

AX10/AX1500 VR game streaming stuttering

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
164 Reply
Re:AX10/AX1500 VR game streaming stuttering
2021-01-29 09:43:42

Thank you @Carl for this email address!

ussupportteam@tp-link.com

I highly suggest everyone who is still following this thread and is able to do so write this email with a time and day that you are available to do testing with them. They are located in China, so timezone is UTC+8. Have TeamViewer installed on your PC so it can be a seamless process. @Rcaldieri @XZlayeD @lambots @GoneVR @TylerMayne @TheOnlyEgg @Kaduwall @christiano88 

Furthermore, it's worth noting that the AX10 being used by the R & D team is a hardware V1.2 version. This matches the same hardware that many in this thread have. Except that the "jitter" as it's being referred to is significantly less pronounced (Though still spiking upwards of 20ms) than what many in this forum are saying they have experienced.

Also, another update from someone else on the TP-Link support side:

"Our HQ Testing about your issue now. About Archer AX10, have issue from OFDMA that has been fixed on Hardware version 1.2 and Hardware version 1.0 will have firmware to fixed soon.

But Archer AX50 have difference cause AX50 using Intel Chipset might be chipset hardware issue. So our R&D need more times to find the way out."

It seems like especially with these AX50 routers it might be some sort of hardware flaw or perhaps coding rewrite that needs to take place, as they are currently questioning if it is possibly the Intel chipset used in these causing the significantly worse "Jitter."

Once again I seriously urge all those currently following the thread and with a TP-Link router to email these guys and set up a tech support appointment!

Thanks once again Carl for the updated information. I will say this last update was a great show of transparency and connecting customer with R & D.

Options
2021-01-29 13:55:03

@Carl Ok, I could try. I will send an email to the address provided. I have the folowing availability: Tuesday through Thursday at 9am-10am - China time (there is a huge time gap between Brazil and China (11 hour) ... they start to work when I'm preparing to sleep.

Note: I already have and work with TeamViewer

Options
2021-01-31 15:00:10

Got the ASUS AC1300 (RT-ACRH13)  router on the way today, hopefully it'll run better than the TP-link.

I get almost butter smooth experience on my ISP router but I want an isolated AP. 

Anyone know anything about how well this router works with VD?

Options
2021-01-31 15:04:50

@Chigginzz 

I have not tried that router myself, but I've ordered a Asus RT-AC66U B1 which should be here in the next 2 days so I get something to compare to the ax50 and ax10.

Options
2021-02-01 09:05:15

@XZlayeD @Chigginzz 

It's worth noting that there have been several mentions of the ASUS RT-AX3000 working flawlessly, even at 150Mbps streaming quality. 

Options
2021-02-01 09:11:26

@Gmadu1993 

I went with the Asus RT-AC66U B1 because it uses the same firmware at half the price for me where I live, so I can install merlin on it which appears to have really really good results for VR. it doesn't have DFS, but I don't really have a lot of competing networks where I live.

Options
2021-02-01 10:05:11

@XZlayeD 

Please do give us an update on your experience when it comes to this router, compared to your TP-Link router, when you do receive it!

Cheers mate!

Options
2021-02-01 10:08:14 - last edited 2021-02-01 10:08:45

@Gmadu1993 

Will do! I will know more once I get home and can set it up tonight 

Options
2021-02-01 21:19:49

@oursoul  @Gmadu1993 @Chigginzz @Carl @Rcaldieri @lambots @GoneVR @TylerMayne @TheOnlyEgg @Kaduwall @christiano88 

Alright this is the comparison videos I can show on the AX10 and the Asus RT-AC66U B1. while I still haven't eliminated the stutters it has certainly gone down massively by about 80-90% as can be seen in the  videos. While it can be hard to see on the footage itself, look at the dropped frames in the streamvr fps tool, and look at how frantic the MS is on network on the virtual desktop tool in comparison of the 2 videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJShUUhXrNA&feature=youtu.be <---- This is the AX10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBGzaY9U9ko&feature=emb_logo <---- Asus RT-AC66U B1

Options
HALLELUJAH!!!!
2021-02-02 10:51:20 - last edited 2021-02-02 11:20:41

@XZlayeD @oursoul @Carl @Antonix @Natemcg @jupei @krzemas @Dennis89 @Spazbiohaz @GoneVR @Broadcaster @DanHarrison @hamda_s @Nick2121 @gren77 @userfin @bfair31 @Kasger @BeemanDev @Natemcg @christiano88 @TylerMayne @Rcaldieri @Kaduwall @TheOnlyEgg @Chigginzz @lambots 

HALLELUJAH!!!!

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, WE MAY FINALLY BE MAKING PROGRESS!

So, yes, I literally just tagged every single user who has commented in this thread since the beginning.

I just had my TeamViewer meeting with TPLink support. You can contact them by emailing them here: (ussupportteam@tp-link.com) We scheduled an appointment for 17:00PM UTC +8.

When the support took over the computer, they opened the router settings (I logged in with my password for them) and then they changed the firmware to a custom in-house debug version, then changed some settings. They originally chose the AC mode under "Wireless/Advanced/Wireless Settings" 5GHz, but I insisted on using the AX only mode, as this was the whole point of the issue. We want to use a 5GHz AX Wi-Fi 6 router.

Next, I opened the game, started recording, played and was met with the immediate jitters of latency for about 1 minute, then ended the recording and shared the video with them. I saw the standard 8-9ms with frequent spikes up to 15ms or so and withing a few seconds saw spikes up to 40ms.

⚠️⚠️⚠️THIS IS WHERE THE MAGIC STARTED. 🚨🚨🚨

The tech support watched the video, and then went to work on stuff that is way above my head. He opened up everything from control panel to command prompt. He spent probably 10 minutes or so doing stuff through command that I honestly could not follow at all. Once finished, he told me to go back into the game and try again.

Off I went, opened the same game, started recording, and then BAM!

I saw a steady 5ms network latency. At times it went up to 9ms or 10ms, but, get this, I even saw it at 1ms. Here is a video to demonstrate the new results(https://youtu.be/HOa09TRMcwA)

Now, I was testing on Walking Dead saints and sinners, with every setting set to it's lowest quality in game. Virtual desktop settings were high quality and streaming Bitrate at 100Mbps. Running a ryzen 7 3700x and 5700xt this was for demonstration purposes solely to eliminate bottleneck issues.

Now, I DID ask if he could write a tutorial for what it was he did, so I could share here on the forum. He said it was too early, and he could not. He said "It seems we are making progress." I asked him to explain in part what it was he did change, and he said this,

"I changed some of the coding. In the wireless configurations." That's all I could get out of him. He also explained that I should NOT reboot my router, so whatever he did, I'm assuming it's going to disappear if the router ever reboots. Living in thailand, all I can hope is that we don't have a power outage here.

Now, I'm about to try this out for extended periods of time and to attempt to push the AX mode with up to 150Mbps settings. The support mentioned to me that if whatever it is he has done, really is some sort of fix, they will attempt to create a beta firmware version to bring to the public.

I am currently using the AX50/AX3000 TP-Link router. I can only encourage any and all of you who still have this router to contact this email address (ussupportteam@tp-link.com) and schedule an appointment on TeamViewer. Best of luck. I'll update when I have done some more stress testing.

⚠️🚨 On further testing, once I changed the graphics settings back to normal, the jitter came back. It does seem less frequent, and the base latency does seem much smaller at around 5-7ms. But the spikes are happening. Worth noting however that when I drop the graphics back down to the lowest, the spikes are now happening again. But they are maxing out at around 15ms. Which is much less. Overall, I may have gotten a little excited about the results of this video. (https://youtu.be/HOa09TRMcwA)

Options
Related Articles