Archer Ax10 Not Showing Client IPs assigned to MoCA devices (Ethernet over Coax Boxes)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer Ax10 Not Showing Client IPs assigned to MoCA devices (Ethernet over Coax Boxes)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-02 19:01:29 - last edited 2020-11-02 19:13:43
Model: Archer A10  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Newly purchased Archer AX10 Router with 1GB Ethernet/Dual-Band WIFI. Everything is working great but the admin screens do not show my MoCA Adapter Boxes (i.e. "goCoax MoCA Adapter, MoCA 2.5, 2.5Gbps Ethernet Over Coax, 1xGbE Port WF-803M)..

The MoCA devices are lightening fast and show proper DNS server IP assignment to reserved IPs which I pre-reserved/administrated at the router admin screens. But they simply do not show up in the top level admin's client list. I wanted to rename them from that screen but they are not there. I suspect because of the connection type not being LAN or WiFi and actually part of "the ethernet/coax virtual wire" itself that the admin client software simply has no "category" to tally them against. A simple mod to the router admin software to add a new kind  would fix/accomdate this kind of scenario I think (a router virtual external ethernet port essentially). 

Note. The 3 MoCA IP devices I use in my home network do show up in the lower level admin detail screens (with their very cryptic manufacturer's default names). They are right there under Router->Advanced->Network->DHCP Server->DHCP Client List display area of screen. Regrettably I can't rename these devices from this lower screen but only from the top level screen. That leaves me administrativelly marooned with no way to put in convenient and meaningful custom device names to distinguish them all without having to go look at cryptic mac address.

We could use more accomodating Human Factors SW design here please. Either let admins edit any connected device name from the lower screens or please let us see and edit ALL connected devices from the top level client-screen. Ideally edit names from top or bottom screens would be ideal and most flexible. In the interiim is there a workaround to renaming them or getting them to show in the top level client's list? Anyone know?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Archer Ax10 Not Showing Client IPs assigned to MoCA devices (Ethernet over Coax Boxes)
2020-11-03 21:47:12

@MelbJim 

If the clients pass a MAC address to the router then they should show up. If there is a virtual connection behind the MoCA devices then I would not expect the device to show up either.

I can certainly forward that as a feature request for consideration.

Options
Re:Archer Ax10 Not Showing Client IPs assigned to MoCA devices (Ethernet over Coax Boxes)
2020-11-04 00:37:02 - last edited 2020-11-04 00:43:55

@Tony 

Thanks. Yes, please pass forward for a firmware enhancement to let us both: 1) rename/edit connected device names at both the high level connected client admin screen and at the lower advanced dns service client screen where we set up device reservations and 2) fix the bug that does not show these particular kinds of MoCA ethernet devices that do not connect to the router's eternet lan ports directly but are essentially connected by an extended splitter/switch (at the MoCA device). The router knows they are there (proper IP assigned) but just does not display (eg picks up the proper reserved IP for MACs) them on the top level clients' admin page. The MoCA boxes' connected ethernet devices (eg Roku adapters) also gets a proper  DNS IP from the router but ironically DO properly show up in the top level client list as connected via hardwire Lan. Just only the MoCA ethernet over Cable boxes do not show up. Weird class of bug. Not a show stopper but would be nice to fix.

Thanks.

Tony wrote

@MelbJim 

If the clients pass a MAC address to the router then they should show up. If there is a virtual connection behind the MoCA devices then I would not expect the device to show up either.

I can certainly forward that as a feature request for consideration.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 945

Replies: 2

Related Articles