Deco M4: clients roam all over the place and don't connect to the closest / fastest unit

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M4: clients roam all over the place and don't connect to the closest / fastest unit

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-03 17:51:32
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.4.3

Hello. I have this weird issue.... I've read a lot about it and how there's no solution.

I have three Decos: two at home, one outside home, in a small office.

Deco 1, let's say, is the office one. Deco 2 is first floor. Deco 3 is 2nd floor.

My house is built out of hard materials. That's the reason for using Decos.

Deco 1 works fine. Deco 2 works fine.  Both Decos are in open spaces.

Deco 3 is almost in the middle of a hallway. There are three rooms with brick and mortar walls around it. 

If I only use Deco 3, signal is great on my 2nd floor. Every device gets at least 60% of my full internet speed. No issues.

If I use Deco 1 and 3, I have no problems, but I get no reception on my 1st floor (obviously).

When I use Deco 1, 2 and 3, devices on my 2nd floor connect fine at first... then after a couple of minutes, start roaming to from Deco 3 to Deco. 2. Deco 2 is too far away and has basically no reception. Yet all devices refuse to connect to the nearest Deco (2). I basically lose all Internet connectivity when this happens and it happens all the time. Then, suddenly, devices reconnect to Deco 2 and everything is fine.. for a couple of minutes.

I've disabled Fast Roaming and Beamforming. No use. I've changed the main Deco. No use. Only thing that works is killing roaming on each device by using the Deco app. And then, I ask why I bought a mesh system that does everything but a mesh...

Please help....

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco M4: clients roam all over the place and don't connect to the closest / fastest unit
2020-11-04 00:07:07

@JavierHtz 

What the mesh network will do is suggest the Deco to connect to, the final determination will depend on the device itself. 

If your devices do not support the 802.11 k/v/r protocols then you might see the same occurrences whether fast roaming is on or not.

Here is an article that talks about Apple devices: https://support.apple.com/en-lamr/HT202628

What you may need to do in order for a device to connect to the nearest AP is to disable the Wi-Fi and then enable it.

Options
Re:Deco M4: clients roam all over the place and don't connect to the closest / fastest unit
2020-11-04 00:54:39
Hi Tony. Disconnecting from wi fi and reconnecting works for a couple of minutes. Then, the device roams to the Deco that is farther away. It's absurd, since I'm sometimes getting, say, 120mbps of download speeds, and suddenly, my devices roam to a Deco that delivers 0.01mbps. And then, they come back. There's no rhyme or reason. They just roam all the time. I had to make sure devices are in the "right" Deco, and disable the mesh network for everything. But again, this is not why I bought my Decos... Is there anything else I can try? This is not about older devices not supporting roaming standards - my Galaxy Note 10, Mate 20 Pro and iPad Pros are suffering from the same behavior...
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 520

Replies: 2