Parental controls and pings.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-08 14:25:42 - last edited 2020-11-08 14:26:44
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello all

Overall we're quite happy with our Deco X60.

Parental controls are working but our daughter gets so many pings from different apps (Life360 especially) that she starts each morning with many hours already used from her screen time limit.  Apps like Life 360 are legit and we want to keep them  but it's harder to figure out how much time she's actually spending online.

It's important for her to budget her own screen time and take that responsibility.  But we want her to get all of her allocated hours.

Any workarounds?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Parental controls and pings.
2020-11-09 21:46:51

@OldChuck 

Any form of activity while connected to the Wi-Fi will trigger the time allotted. So to avoid time being used, disconnecting from the network is recommended. 

We have received feedback regarding this, but currently, the Deco is not able to essentially tell when someone is not really using the system, as any packet passed over the network is considered in use.

Options
2020-11-10 17:01:14

Thanks Tony

Options
2020-11-10 23:43:13

@OldChuck 

You are very welcome.

Options
2021-01-21 21:28:30
Yeah, this is a pretty big drawback to this technique. I’m seeing it with my kid’s systems. Only ideas I can come up with are: Showing them a web page on the router they need to acknowledge to turn access on “officially” for them. Would be neat if the device would get sent to a page with device’s profile. Then maybe there’s a special vanity page their devices could go to to turn wifi on and off for themselves and see how much time they have remaining. A more advanced technique would be to know how much data is just heartbeat and how much is actual play. I wanted to know what time they went to sleep if I left it open, but the devices basically chatter all by themselves and so it appears they were using the device until the wifi cut off(which is possible but I doubt it, since no one was hungover the next day).
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 513

Replies: 4

Related Articles