X60 Backhaul Odd Behavior - Please explain this

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-09 16:10:44 - last edited 2020-11-10 23:29:45
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.6 Build 20201013

So I just installed  a 3-node X60 in my house.  All units share a common ethernet network /backhaul and switch as my whole

6000 sq/ft house is wired for ethernet.  I replace an older MeshForce M3 that was configured exactly the same. 

I wanted WPA3 and Wifi 6 so upgraded.  Speed is fine.

So the 2 non-main nodes all work fine together.  But looking in the app each of the 2 non-main nodes show:

(1) Signal Source = Ethernet and the other one shows

(2) Signal Source = 2.4GHz/5GHz connected to the main unit.   

It's odd, as I'd think they BOTH should show Ethernet, that's the way they are connected.  And if I reboot the 2nd one,

it flips and the 2nd one then shows ethernet and the 1st one shows 2.4GHz/5GHz - so what's going on?  I know the ethernet wiring is

right as I have other ethernet devices connected to both of these units and everything is working fine.

Just trying to understand what this is telling me?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:X60 Backhaul Odd Behavior - Please explain this-Solution
2020-11-10 13:33:19 - last edited 2020-11-10 23:29:10

@Tony OK duh, my bad.  I had not reconnected the Ethernet wire from the main Deco X60 to my switch, so all traffic was going over

wireless anyway.  It had only been connected to the FIOS ONT WAN Port.  It still had been working very well though, so I was a bit puzzled and

the 2 satellites were connected together via the switch.

So fixed that and now the 2 satellites are showing an Ethernet connection to the main Deco and wireless speeds are fully as expected.  All good now!

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:X60 Backhaul Odd Behavior - Please explain this
2020-11-09 23:14:57

@SMRTech 

Something may be up with the way the Ethernet cable and switch are wired.

Does your wiring go to a central switch then to the main Deco? Ex. satellite 1/2 > network switch > main Deco?

If you take the second Deco and wire that to the first Deco, do both show wired so you have something like main > satellite 1 > satellite 2?

Options
Re:X60 Backhaul Odd Behavior - Please explain this
2020-11-10 00:45:16

@Tony 

Yes, the wiring between the units and the switches is as you describe.  Why should this matter, all units

are common to the same ethernet switch.  The ports used on the units doesn't matter, does it?

Which is a 16 port Trendnet switch if that matters.

I have not tried to connect them together, but will, as that's what I saw suggested elsewhere.

Options
Re:X60 Backhaul Odd Behavior - Please explain this-Solution
2020-11-10 13:33:19 - last edited 2020-11-10 23:29:10

@Tony OK duh, my bad.  I had not reconnected the Ethernet wire from the main Deco X60 to my switch, so all traffic was going over

wireless anyway.  It had only been connected to the FIOS ONT WAN Port.  It still had been working very well though, so I was a bit puzzled and

the 2 satellites were connected together via the switch.

So fixed that and now the 2 satellites are showing an Ethernet connection to the main Deco and wireless speeds are fully as expected.  All good now!

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 461

Replies: 3