Optimal placement for Deco W3600

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-10 21:11:27 - last edited 2020-11-16 14:09:07
Model: Deco W3600  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.0.5 Build 20201013 Rel. 64950

Hello, everyone, I hope all is well. I purchased a Deco W3600 kit for my home, and I had sdome questions about optimal placement. My home is 3 stories, with the attic acting as my bedroom. I placed the main unit by my modem downstairs, and then the extender up in my room. After doing so, I ran some tests on wireless devices on each floor. Everything seemed to be connecting just fine, except for a couple of devices. My son has a PS4 on the 2nf floor, as well as a streaming TV, and both devices had some connectivity issues on a random basis. The other device that had issues is my workstation upstairs on the 3rd floor. I was able to connect to the internet, as well as download some files, but I kept getting random disconnects.

Other devices on all 3 floors seemed to behave properly, with no disconnects that I was made aware of. I connected all of my wirless smart home devices and bulbs, laptops, tablets, phones, TVs and other gaming consoles, and didn't notice or hear of any issues.

My questions are why would only certain devices have connectivity issues, especially when they're in different rooms? My workstation was right next to the extender, and my speeds were all fine; it's just that it disconnected randomly multiple times. Also, is 1st floor/3rd floor a good placement option, or should I do 1st floor/2nd floor? Is there a way to determine the best layout using a signal meter of some sort? Lastly, would it be wise to buy another Deco device and add it to the mix, and if so, which one?

Thank you, in advance, for any info and/or suggestions!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Optimal placement for Deco W3600-Solution
2020-11-11 22:25:06 - last edited 2020-11-16 14:09:07

@emets31 

You can use a Wi-Fi analyzer on your smartphone, there are various free ones that all do the same job. 

What I think may be happening is the devices having connection issues may not support the wireless protocols the Deco uses to recommend the best node to connect to. In that case, the device may be trying to connect to the node furthest away giving a bad connection since each node broadcasts the same name so the device could get confused jumping to random ones. 

During the disconnects, look at the Deco nodes to make sure none are turning red.

If the issue is related to coverage then adding another node would help, you can essentially use any Deco to add to your network. I don't think all models are sold individually.

Within the Deco app you can tap on the globe, then the Deco unit to see what devices are connected to it to see exactly what is connecting to what. It may be the PS4 is connecting to the main unit rather than the one closer to you.

Optimum location is best in an area of least obstacles, which is true for being on the same floor, but not so much when traversing above another floor which never ends well. So it may require some moving and monitoring with the Wi-Fi analyzer to see if there is a sweet spot.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Optimal placement for Deco W3600-Solution
2020-11-11 22:25:06 - last edited 2020-11-16 14:09:07

@emets31 

You can use a Wi-Fi analyzer on your smartphone, there are various free ones that all do the same job. 

What I think may be happening is the devices having connection issues may not support the wireless protocols the Deco uses to recommend the best node to connect to. In that case, the device may be trying to connect to the node furthest away giving a bad connection since each node broadcasts the same name so the device could get confused jumping to random ones. 

During the disconnects, look at the Deco nodes to make sure none are turning red.

If the issue is related to coverage then adding another node would help, you can essentially use any Deco to add to your network. I don't think all models are sold individually.

Within the Deco app you can tap on the globe, then the Deco unit to see what devices are connected to it to see exactly what is connecting to what. It may be the PS4 is connecting to the main unit rather than the one closer to you.

Optimum location is best in an area of least obstacles, which is true for being on the same floor, but not so much when traversing above another floor which never ends well. So it may require some moving and monitoring with the Wi-Fi analyzer to see if there is a sweet spot.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Optimal placement for Deco W3600
2020-11-13 16:20:51

@Tony 

Thank you, I really appreciate your input! I will test later today to try and get some results.

Another question would be wireless backhauling; I was reading that it may help to run a wire between the access points for better performance. I currently have a switch connected to my main Deco, so would it work if I ran a cable to the switch from the extender Deco, or is that a waste of time?

Thanks in advance!

Options
2020-11-14 00:07:43

@emets31 

Yes, running an Ethernet cable would give better performance, with respect to speed rather than relying on Wi-Fi so I would do that if possible.

Options
2020-11-16 14:09:27
Thanks again, Tony!
Options
2020-11-17 16:09:24

@emets31 

Very welcome.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0