Need WiFi in my barn!!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Need WiFi in my barn!!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Need WiFi in my barn!!
Need WiFi in my barn!!
2020-11-11 21:42:10 - last edited 2020-11-12 02:48:20

First off, I have very little knowledge as it relates to wifi networks - so go easy on me .  My wife and I have a barn approximately 250 feet behind our house - we spend a ton of time in the barn and want to add wifi.  We also do a fair amount of yard work between the barn and the house and would like to have a consistent signal in this space.  I recently ran a 220 electric line from the house to the barn and decided to go ahead and add a cat5 line that will be attached in the house to my TP-Link AC2300 router.  The cat5 in the barn will get plugged into my smart TV... I also want to then broadcast a signal for wireless coverage in the barn and in the space between the barn and the house.  I'm good on plugging the cat5 into the back of the TV.  Question is what additional equipment do I need for the wireless signal?  Thanks in advance for any and all help!!

Options
7 Reply
Re:Need WiFi in my barn!!
2020-11-12 00:08:33 - last edited 2020-11-17 23:46:51

@dkratt 

Since you ran a Cat5 already to the barn you could grab any typical router to give Wi-Fi, and just plug the TV into the available LAN ports. We do have the EAP225-Outdoor, but that won't provide the Ethernet connection you need for your TV.

I'm thinking of possibly adding an Archer C7 at the end of the Ethernet? Should give Wi-Fi surrounding the barn.

Options
2020-11-12 02:34:04

@Tony - thank you!  Will the c7 give the same coverage as the EAP255?  If the AP does give more coverage then I can just not worry about the TV - coverage is more important.  Also, why the EAP255 and not the 225?  Thanks again Tony!

Options
2020-11-17 04:07:57 - last edited 2020-11-17 04:08:28

Tony - did you see my questions above? Thanks for your help!

Options
2020-11-17 23:52:58 - last edited 2020-11-18 22:09:39

@dkratt 

Sorry, mistype, meant to say EAP225-Outdoor. The EAP coverage will be better compared to the C7, but the EAP is meant to be mounted outdoor, and provide omnidirectional coverage around it. 

In your case, if you just need Wi-Fi at the end of the Ethernet cable which is in the barn, and you only care about the barn then using a typical wireless router should work. One thing I didn't mention was the weather. If the barn shields whatever is inside from the elements then using an indoor rated device should be fine. If not then maybe go for the EAP.

Options
2020-11-18 15:27:25

@Tony - thank you sir, appreciate the help!  Just placed an order - stay tuned smiley

Options
2020-11-18 22:11:17

@dkratt 

If you end up going with the EAP, here is our business support team info in case you need immediate assistance: link

Options
2021-01-03 00:26:05

@dkratt don't know if it's too late for this question; purchase 2x CPE210

setup one as Access Point and the other as client.

You can also set an SSID to provide WiFi from them.  The Wifi has some limits as the 2 devices are "directional" - they need to point at each other, and the wifi is directional too (doesn't go very far behind the device) but far enough for a small building.  If the wifi is not adequate, then plug in a wifi AP to the client CPE210 to serve the barn, but try without that first - it's working for us.

Each CPE210 is about $40, so very cost effective.  You will also need to buy some Ethernet cable to run between the CPE210 and the PoE (Power over Ethernet) power adapter that plugs into the wall inside.

The CPE210's are designed to be mounted outside, but we also have one propped up on a window inside in another buliding (the Access Point can serve multiple CPE210 clients - 16 i think).

We have one client 1000+ ft with some trees and one about 300ft with dense trees. Both work.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 784

Replies: 7