Cannot access USB HDD after recent firmware update on C7 (1.0.16 Build 20201030 rel.55736)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Cannot access USB HDD after recent firmware update on C7 (1.0.16 Build 20201030 rel.55736)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-17 22:19:16 - last edited 2020-12-15 19:02:50
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.16 Build 20201030 rel.55736(5553)

Since the new Firmware update, I am no longer able to access my USB disk drive that I use a shared drive.  I can control it and see its details, scan for it and find it, and even disconnect it from the C7’s USB Settings, Sharing Access screen, but not able to access it from a computer.

Model                   AC1750

Firmware Ver:   1.0.16 Build 20201030 rel.55736(5553)

Hardware Ver:   Archer C7 v5.0

When double-click on the mapped network drive, I either get ‘bad username or password’ error or this…

Going through File Explorer, I can connect to the router and can see the drive, “sda1”.  Double-click to access drive and am prompted for user name and password.  After input credentials, get this error…

Went back to previous Firmware Ver (1.0.15 Build 20200628 rel.63501(5553)) and now I can again access my USB HDD with no issues.

I see where the “Print Spool” option was removed in late 2019, is the USB operations being eliminated as well?

Options
15 Reply
Re:Cannot access USB HDD after recent firmware update on C7 (1.0.16 Build 20201030 rel.55736)
2020-11-18 16:59:59 - last edited 2020-11-18 17:01:18

@Dragonrider 

The USB printing was removed, but I haven't seen anything in regards to USB as a whole being gone.

I see that you are referencing the URL that references the private IP of the router. Rather than using the URL, try the IP:

\\192.168.0.1\sda1

or if the IP of the router is 1.1:

\\192.168.1.1\sda1

If you see the drive in the GUI then the network devices should see it.

Also, try just using the IP in a windows explorer window:

\\192.168.0.1

or

\\192.168.1.1

If the main folder comes up double click on it, and right click on the sda folder to create a new map.

Options
Re:Cannot access USB HDD after recent firmware update on C7 (1.0.16 Build 20201030 rel.55736)
2020-11-18 18:14:14

@Tony Thank you for the response.

I did reload to the new firmware and tried using the router's IP address (obtained from router) in File Explorer but it kept asking for user name and password.

I also tried the IP from my browser, it did not see the "sda1" portion.  Without the "sda1" it took me to the router login screen.

Options
2020-11-18 18:16:59

@Dragonrider 

A couple of things to check out here.

• When you computer starts, is there a Z: drive connected?
  • What version of Windows are you on? There was a recent update to that as well, and the newest is Ver. 20H2 (OS Build 19042.630). Are you on that?
  • Do you have SMB 1 running? You can check it via a CMD prompt running as an Administrator, start POWERSHELL, and then enter

Get-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName smb1protocol and the check the STATE which should show enabled.

Also in the same CMD prompt, run NET VIEW and NET USE. Do you see the router and share?

Options
2020-11-18 23:38:07

@IrvSp  Thank you for the reply and assistance.

Yes, drive Z: connects upon launch.  Or does on previous firmware (1.0.15).

Windows just did an update and reboot, Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19041.630]. 

FeatureName      : SMB1Protocol
DisplayName      : SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support
Description      : Support for the SMB 1.0/CIFS file sharing protocol, and the Computer Browser protocol.
RestartRequired  : Possible
State            : Enabled
CustomProperties :
                   ServerComponent\Description : Support for the SMB 1.0/CIFS file sharing protocol, and the Computer
                   Browser protocol.
                   ServerComponent\DisplayName : SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support
                   ServerComponent\Id : 487
                   ServerComponent\Type : Feature
                   ServerComponent\UniqueName : FS-SMB1
                   ServerComponent\Deploys\Update\Name : SMB1Protocol

--These responses are for both router firmware versions 1.0.16 Build 20201030 rel.55736(5553) and 1.0.15 Build 20200628 rel.63501(5553)

PS C:\> net view
Server Name            Remark

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
\\C17**                C17**
\\*****FAM              samba server   (This is the router)
\\LAPTOP-HJCH***
\\P**                   P**
The command completed successfully.

PS C:\> net use
New connections will be remembered.

There are no entries in the list.

Options
2020-11-19 00:43:13

Dragonrider wrote

PS C:\> net view
Server Name            Remark

\\C17**                C17**
\\*****FAM              samba server   (This is the router)
\\LAPTOP-HJCH***
\\P**                   P**

@Dragonrider 

OK, SMB 1 is enabled and NET VIEW works.

Dragonrider wrote

There are no entries in the list.

Well, Z: is NOT 'used' to be assigned a DRIVE LETTER.

If you do a NET VIEW \\*****FAM do you see what is ON the router.

This is what I see from those commands:

====================================

C:\>net view
Server Name            Remark

--------------------------------------------
\\HP7855               Samba 3.0.37
\\IRV8700              Irv's 8700
\\TP-SHARE             samba server

C:\>net view \\tp-share
Shared resources at \\tp-share

samba server

Share name  Type  Used as  Comment

--------------------------------------------
G           Disk

========================

TP-SHARE is the name I allowed the Router to assign to the attached USB drive:

Then all you need do is do a NET USE Z: \\sharename\disk_letter

Options
2020-11-19 04:51:07

@IrvSp 

Thank you for the additional steps to take.  I am providing the information for both the current firmware (f/w) version and the previous.  Hope these help.  I have not changed anything on the router nor anything in Windows settings, I have only changed the router f/w.

These are the same for both f/w versions...

PS C:\> net view \\****FAM

Shared resources at \\****FAM

samba server

Share name  Type  Used as  Comment

sda1        Disk

From the router…

These are when on the latest f/w version, 1.0.16…

Status       Local     Remote                    Network

Disconnected Z:        \\tplinkwifi.net\sda1     Microsoft Windows Network

PS C:\> net use z:

Local name        Z:

Remote name       \\tplinkwifi.net\sda1

Resource type     Disk

Status            Disconnected

# Opens           0

# Connections     1

This is how the USB HDD shows in File Explorer…

These are when on the previous f/w version, 1.0.15…

Status       Local     Remote                    Network

OK           Z:        \\tplinkwifi.net\sda1     Microsoft Windows Network

PS C:\> net use z:

Local name        Z:

Remote name       \\tplinkwifi.net\sda1

Resource type     Disk

Status            OK

# Opens           0

# Connections     1

File Explorer…

Options
2020-11-19 15:04:35

@Dragonrider 

Well, I can see the problem, see the STATUS differences.... Disconnected vs. OK.

It seems though that you can test with both f/w versions, and I wonder how you are doing that? Also when going backlevel on a version I'd RESET the router and manually re-enter all settings (unless you saved the setting from that version). 'Things' can move between versions and going up the install usually handles it, but not backleveling.

At this point, I think you should just follow the NET USE and NET VIEW steps but try these and check the results.

1. First things I'd try with the FALLING f/w is SAFELY REMOVE HARDWARE and then unplug and plug the drive back in and test.
  2. With the failing f/w, if you have another external drive, remove the present one and put the other one in, does it work?
  3. Take the drive to a PC and run CHKDSK on it, it might have a problem. After that, put it back on the router and test.

If it still fails, contact Support with the info, should get them enough info to work on it?

On my router, there are possible differences. I have a 'modify' where you have a 'light bulb'? On mine, clicking modify allows me to DELETE the drive, freeing up the drive letter (I have 2 USB ports). I do NOT get to choose the drive letter it assigns. Wondering if the 'light bulb' does the same or is just a notification if is OK?

Also, on my router, the external drive light is ALWAYS on. Most routers do not turn off the drive and keep it always on, spinning. Wondering if your drive happens to be OFF? If you put your hand on it if it doesn't have a light you can feel it running usually? The Windows PC can 'know' the drive was there due to a cache, however, to see the content the drive needs to wake up. Possible the new f/w has put the drive to sleep and somehow it needs to be woken up? I'd expect a READ or WRITE to it would do that? NET VIEW and NET USE probably don't need to access the drive but only data about the drive in the router itself, same for Windows Explorer.

Be interesting to see your test results.

Options
2020-11-19 15:48:03

@IrvSp 

Thank you for the repy and the areas to look at, I will do this tonight as the router reboots cause one of the wired PCs to required a reboot as well.  Here is what I can answer at this time...

Yes, on the new f/w the drive stays disconnected.  As I orginally posted, it will not allow me to login, it asks for credentials, but never approves them.  I know I am using the correct password as I copied-and-pasted it to the router to update and then to the drive access logon prompt.  When going back to the old f/w, it never asks for the password as it is saved by Windows.

File Explorer drive state icons seem to be real-time.  When I boot my PC, on the old f/w the icon shows drive as accessible and if HDD is removed, it shows the 'red X', on the new f/w it always shows the 'red-x'.

I did the "safely remove", unplug, and plug back in to see if that was the issue but it did not correct it.  I did this before going back to the previous f/w the first time.

I will try a second drive on the router as well as running CHKDSK on current drive tonight.

On this router, there is only one USB 2.0 port on it and it feels as if the drive is always on.

The drive letter that shows is from me "mapping" it as a network drive, otherwise it never showed up as a drive letter in File Explorer.  None of the other computers here have mapped this drive so they do not even see it in File Explorer.  They can still access it via typing in the address.

Options
2020-11-19 17:04:00

@Dragonrider 

Dragonrider wrote

@IrvSp 

Thank you for the repy and the areas to look at, I will do this tonight as the router reboots cause one of the wired PCs to required a reboot as well.  Here is what I can answer at this time...

Yes, on the new f/w the drive stays disconnected.  As I orginally posted, it will not allow me to login, it asks for credentials, but never approves them.  I know I am using the correct password as I copied-and-pasted it to the router to update and then to the drive access logon prompt.  When going back to the old f/w, it never asks for the password as it is saved by Windows.

Ah, with the new f/w has the data for the drive changed? I'll assume the router keeps the same IP Address? Could the drive letter on the router change? On mine I have NO CONTROL of the letter.

Using the CREDENTIALS MANAGER you should be able to see what it contains for the Router.

Another test you can try, REMOVE the Password protection. I had to do that myself as my DLNA Clients can't handle the credential check. See if it works then? If it does might need to delete the old credential and then it would ask you and save a new one possibly?

If it never asked on the OLD f/w. was it p/w protected? Just wondering? One way to tell, delete the saved credential when the old f/w is installed and they try to access the drive. If not asked, then there was no p/w required, asked, you'll then create a new credential that might work on the new f/w.

If it never approves the new credentials, then on the NEW f/w make sure they are correct. New f/w might reset them to default for the drive itself. If nothing else, reenter them to be sure on the f/w GUI.

Dragonrider wrote

File Explorer drive state icons seem to be real-time.  When I boot my PC, on the old f/w the icon shows drive as accessible and if HDD is removed, it shows the 'red X', on the new f/w it always shows the 'red-x'.

Saw that, but the actual data it showed was from a cache and the red X meant it wasn't connected. 

Wondering if a NET USE Z: /d followed by a new NET VIEW Z: \\router\driveletter when then work? If so you could create a BAT/CMD file to run at boot as a startup file and solve the problem?

Dragonrider wrote

The drive letter that shows is from me "mapping" it as a network drive, otherwise it never showed up as a drive letter in File Explorer.  None of the other computers here have mapped this drive so they do not even see it in File Explorer.  They can still access it via typing in the address.

Yes, it will show if you look at NETWORK and OPEN it.

Using Windows Explorer, use the UP ARROR to get to the DESKTOP. and you'll see the NETWORK:

Select NETWOR and you'll see the ROUTER (depending on name, you should see ******FAM I  guess?):

Click on that and you'll see the SHAREd folders, NOT the drive letter though. Should match what you'd normally get from the Z: drive.

Options
2020-11-21 08:43:22

@IrvSp 

Sorry for the delay, chaotic few days.

The drive passed the CHKDSK.  Put it back on the router (old f/w) and Z: immediately showed available (red-X went away).

The password was put on drive access when I first put the drive on my previous router (different brand) that this one replaced about a year ago.  When I first accessed this drive through this router, it prompted for username and password, I had Windows remember these credentials so I have never been prompted again for them. 

I have not seen any drive letter assignment for this drive other than the mapping I have done, not on mine nor any of the other PCs that have access to this router.  The only drive letters that have ever appear in my File Explorer, are C:, D: (when CD drive is used), and Z:, (E:, F:, & G: depending on which and how many flash drives are in-use).  I mapped Z: to eliminate the process of navigating through the NETWORK option you mentioned.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2279

Replies: 15

Related Articles