TP-Link Archer A7 Firmware v1.0.15 Build 20200721 Router as Access Point, missing key features.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TP-Link Archer A7 Firmware v1.0.15 Build 20200721 Router as Access Point, missing key features.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-19 21:33:10
Model: Archer A10  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: v1.0.15 Build 20200721 rel.40773(5553)

(I couldn't select the proper model for this router in the drop down, it wasn't listed)

I've been using these as access points quite often lately, bought several of them, but ran into a couple features that I've seen on other routers, that would be amazingly useful on these.

In Access Point Operation, these are unable to find a route to the Internet to check for firmware updates and/or apply firmware updates.  The current fix is manually lookup and find the firmware, download it and manually upload it to the router, but if you just add something to a new firmware to let it look for access thru the LAN ports, instead of just the WAN ports when in Access Point Operation, this should fix the issue of no internet found.

I left DHCP enabled by mistake, used to most routers disableing it when you set a static IP in Access Point Mode, that's on me, but, I was unable to find anyway to boot off clients that were already connected, that I wanted to boot.  I had to reboot the whole device, which of course took all my users offline, to boot the users I wanted gone from the DHCP server.

That being said, it be an awesome feature, and a real time saver, if when we select Access Point Operation, we can at that point choose Static or DHCP, and enable or disable the DHCP server, before rebooting into that mode.

Also a popup when you change from Router to Access Point mode, letting you know the IP is changing from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.254 would be awesome as well, had to NMap the thing to find where it moved to the first time I switched it.

Other then that this is a solid little router, and not to bad to program up for most situations fairly quickly.

Options
1 Reply
Re:TP-Link Archer A7 Firmware v1.0.15 Build 20200721 Router as Access Point, missing key features.
2020-11-20 16:18:31

@Psych 

Thank you for the detailed feedback.

I will be sure to forward the mentioned feature requests.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 446

Replies: 1