I need some help with Whitelisting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-22 15:58:30

Good day,

I am currently creating a whitelist for my office router. Model AC750 Archer C20 (I did not see it in the dropdown list).

I am busy putting in the URL's for Microsoft, but I noticed that on Microsoft's list alot of URL's start with an asterisk.

e.g.  *.aria.microsoft.com  ,  *.o365weve.com  ,  *.office365.com 

Should I keep the asterisk when I type the URL's into the Target list for Access control?  Will this mean that anything that uses that URL will be allowed through?

Or was the asterisk just a generic placeholder that they typed on their list?

I need Windows, Office365 and Microsoft Teams to be allowed through the router.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Options
2 Reply
Re:I need some help with Whitelisting
2020-11-24 23:02:02

@Vincent_Wood 

I think if you try to include the asterisk which is supposed to be a wild card you will get an error. You would use something like www.sitename.com instead.

Options
Re:I need some help with Whitelisting
2020-11-27 13:17:22

@Tony 

Thanks for the reply.

I figured it out.  In order to allow all addresses based on a domain, the domain should be typed in the router access control without the asterisk.  e.g.:   microsoft.com

But when whitelisting or blacklisting in Windows' Internet Explorer, it can be typed with the asterisk in order to provide for all addresses base on the domain.  e.g.:   *.microsoft.com

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 525

Replies: 2