Variation in WiFi speeds

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Variation in WiFi speeds

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Variation in WiFi speeds
Variation in WiFi speeds
2020-11-27 21:17:31 - last edited 2020-11-27 22:31:21
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.1.2

I have 1GB fiber coming into my home.  I have 3 TP-Link Deco P9 units deployed, one of which has a wired Ethernet connection to the modem and the others of which do not.

The wired unit is on second floor, and the two non-wired units are on the first floor.

If I go up to the second floor and stand in front of the wired P9, I get WiFi speeds up to 450Mbps down.  If I go downstairs and stand in front of *one* of the non-wired P9s, I get speeds around 210 Mbps.  If I stand in front of the other non-wired P9, I get WiFi speeds around 60 Mbps.

I don't understand the variation in the two non-wired units.  Why is there such a disparity in speeds I'm seeing between them?

UPDATE:  I tried an experiment:  I *unplugged* the non-wired unit that I was getting 210 Mbps near and tested speeds in the two non-wired locations again.  Standing in front of the now-unplugged unit, WiFi speeds went *up* to the low 400's!  So, clearly, the unit in that room is doing little but getting in the way?  The speeds near the other non-wired unit did not appear to change from the unplugging.  I tried unplugging the other non-wired unit (so both unplugged), and WiFi speeds near the second non-wired unit (that had 60 Mbps speeds before) went down to 20 Mbps.

So, can I not expect better than 60-80 Mbps from the non-wired P9?

Thanks,

Eric

Options
1 Reply
Re:Variation in WiFi speeds
2020-12-01 22:21:46

@radcapitalist 

The type of connection the Deco has and the hops the device needs to jump affects the speeds.

The easiest way to help with speeds at first would be to move the Deco units to a different location or closer. If that is not possible or has been tried, then It would be worth seeing how they are connected to explain why the difference in speeds. So for example, if the first satellite node connected to the main Deco, then that speed would be faster compared to the second satellite node that connects to the first satellite node, then to the main Deco.

When a Deco is initially added to the network, what it should do is see what connections are available, and choose the fastest one. So even though the first satellite may be closer the second satellite may actually connect to the main Deco instead.

Now, if the speeds follow the node, meaning if you were to reset the two satellite units, swap the locations, and speed test again, where originally at 200 Mbps is now down to 60 Mbps.  That device may be the culprit, but if the speed stays at the location, then that would be the fastest you are able to get.

Alternatives, would be to see if you can have the satellite unit connected via Ethernet to either the first satellite node or main Deco.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 315

Replies: 1