The real difference between Access Point and Router??

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-28 02:06:19
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Newbie with a new X60 three pack here.  My question is, functionally, what the heck is the difference between Access Point and Router mode?

The on-line doc is rather vague.

It seems, based on limited testing, that in router mode the satellite different units pass the connection / request data to the main Deco unit directly connected to the router and on to the internet.

It seems, based on limited testing, that in access point mode the different satellite units pass the connection / request data to the main deco unit directly connected to the router and on to the internet.

Seems identical results to me since I can' f find a way to sync the units in access point mode to my existing wireless network, they only sync to the network ID set up on the main unit (as far as I can determine).  Which was kind of the point behind why I bought the three pack; I didn't want to have to manage TWO wireless connections.  Which, in either mode, it seems I'm stuck with.  And no, the existing wireless network has its particular uses so I won't be turning it off.

What am I missing?

DPHarshman

Options
1 Reply
Re:The real difference between Access Point and Router??
2020-12-01 23:12:53

@dpharshman 

Here is a FAQ that shows software-wise the differences: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2399

As far as hardware, in AP you can wire all nodes directly to the original router, in router mode, the satellite units must connect behind the main Deco unit. The FAQ mentioned above shows the topology at the bottom. 

Regardless of mode, both still operate as a mesh network.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 522

Replies: 1