Brand new AX20 router experiencing packet loss and bufferbloat even on wired with QoS enabled.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Brand new AX20 router experiencing packet loss and bufferbloat even on wired with QoS enabled.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-28 20:30:10
Model: Archer AX20  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2

Ordered a brand new archer ax20 from Amazon, unboxed and setup via the tether app per instructions just as I had done with my archer a7 was enabled qos to match my rated down and up speeds I have tested and confirmed from my isp but have been seeing frequent intermittent packet loss while gaming and when I test via dslreports.com's speedtest, I see terrible ratings on bufferbloat where it hovers around 50-60ms with spikes into 150-200ms range,  I didn't have this throughput issue with any of my previous 2 routers and it seems odd this one is behaving this way out of the box.  Did I get a bad unit or is this actually representative of the the other lower price archer 𝗪𝗶𝗳𝗶 6 routers? Has anyone else had this issue or would anyone with a similar router be willing to test their connection in the same way?  Confused and need help.

thanks in advance!

Options
2 Reply
Re:Brand new AX20 router experiencing packet loss and bufferbloat even on wired with QoS enabled.
2020-12-02 16:53:40

@Oldmanlight 

Disable any QoS or priority features when doing the test. Power down the satellite units and focus on the main unit. I would also temporarily change the network name to something else so one device is connected not others. 

If testing from a satellite unit, make sure the testing device is connected to the closer node. The Deco will try and recommend the best node to connect to, but you may still be connected to the main Deco while close to another. You can also disable and enable the wireless connection which should solve that. 

If performance is not good with the main Deco node, swap it with one of the satellite units. 

If it is possible to connect the Deco nodes via Ethernet cable, that will provide the best possible speed.

If you still feel the system is not working as you would expect, please reach out to our support to troubleshoot.

Options
Re:Brand new AX20 router experiencing packet loss and bufferbloat even on wired with QoS enabled.
2020-12-02 18:03:22

@Tony sorry but your suggestion doesn't even sound like you're understanding the setup. this is a wired connection to a switch port on the back of a 𝗪𝗶𝗳𝗶 router. Not a mesh node, not a mesh network.  Without qos, the bloat is even worse on outbound traffic.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1014

Replies: 2