AP mode on Deco

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

AP mode on Deco

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
AP mode on Deco
AP mode on Deco
2020-11-29 20:32:05

Hi.

Apologies if this has already been asked, I've tried searching but cant find the answer.

If I set up my Deco, I have to put in a network name. Say I call it 'home network's

I have my main internet router (bt home hub) linked to a switch and the switch running cables around the house.  My main bt network let's say is called BT-12345

So if I link my deco to the switch in the living room, and set it to AP mode, it works fine, but with network name 'home network's still, so not truly extending my home network...?  Do I just simply now change the network name in the app to match bt network name and repeat the password, or is this not possible?  I have a ring doorbell and a massive house so need all the devices on ring to be linoed to the same between name...

Thanks

Options
3 Reply
Re:AP mode on Deco
2020-12-02 22:17:57

@Richardrw 

You can set up the Deco network to be the same as your current network. One thing to look out for is a device connecting to the furthest networking device even though there is a closer networking device. Sometimes a device wants to be connected to the network node further away giving an impression the signal coverage is really bad.

So if you notice your signal being weak, then I would make the network names different to avoid any confusion. 

Options
2020-12-02 22:57:36

@Tony thanks for the response.  I tried to find this post the other day to update it but couldnt find it.

This is exactly what I'm seeing now.  I realise I needed to give it a different name on initial set up but then once selected AP mode, I could give the network the same name as my router network.  However, as you say, if I select fast roaming, I find that my mobile devices switch between deco units fine, but when the closest signal is on the bt hub, it doesnt switch from deco to that unless signal drops completely.  So area in my house just sticks on 10% wifi strength on the deco despite being directly above the room where the bt hub is..

.. it doesnt seem to ever want to switch from deco to bt hub at all. I found it best to switch off my other decos when setting up static devices like my ring doorbell repeated and sky q mini boxes helped on initial set up.  So far it seems to be working ok, but I suspect I'll end up switching off the bt router wifi and relying on the decos.. it would just help if I had one more.

Also i wasnt sure if you can mix and match..?  I have three deco 5 units connected via switches and ethernet, not sure if I could have another just on wireless linking in AP mode?

Thanks

Richard 

Options
2020-12-07 21:29:17

@Richardrw 

You can mix any of the Deco models so if you have an existing M9 network, you can add an M5 via Wi-Fi.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 608

Replies: 3

Related Articles