info about powerlines and access point

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-30 21:30:30

Hello,

i'm about to buy 4 powerlines, TL-WPA9610 KIT and TL-PA9020 KIT.

My idea is to put one of the four directly connected to the router and the other 2 in other rooms with computers while i want the wifi module in a place where i can't bring easily wifi, i tried extenders and mesh solutions but they are very very instable.

I'd like to know if the wpa powerline, in the 9610 kit, is able to generate it's own wifi and act like a router operating in access point mode, taking the signal from the AC instead of a cable and making a network from the same subnet in my LAN.

I always find the word access point used to mean "extender" in my country and it's hard to have a clear view.

Can you help? Thanks in advance

PS : I hope my english is clear

Options
5 Reply
Re:info about powerlines and access point
2020-12-01 19:03:20

@Stefano6582 

The wireless generated by the WPA module is akin to a AP and not a router.  It will provide access via wireless and wired for that matter but sends it back to the main unit connected to your gateway or router.  If you are looking at replacing the router that is not possible but if you want to add a AP and even clone the SSID so its the same credentials as the router that is what the WPA module can do. 

Options
2020-12-02 07:22:15

@Carl ok, so if it works like an access point it means it gets an ip from the router and generate a brand new wifi with that same subnet, am i correct?

Options
2020-12-02 19:12:21

@Stefano6582 

The wireless portion yes.  That is my understanding of how it works 

Options
2020-12-03 08:46:57 - last edited 2020-12-03 08:50:34

@Stefano6582 ok thanks a lot, this solves a lot of misunderstanding about the word "access point". Several people refer to it meaning a point of access in the network  o an extender and not the real meaning in the networking world.

My best Regards ;)

Options
2020-12-03 18:16:08

@Stefano6582 another question, the poweline that can work as an access point needs to be connected via lan to generate the wifi or it can do it using the ac line with the homeplug av2 protocol?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 519

Replies: 5