Votes

Deco M9 smarthome Zigbee hub

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-01 10:52:08
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.11

Hey all,

I've a question that (I guess) a lot of us have with smarthomes. Is there a way to put the Deco M9 nodes into a "learn" mode or something? It should be great to have those hubs as routers instead of the main router. For example, Ikea has some "repeaters" which can work well with something like a Conbee || stick. It should be awesome to be able to put the nodes into something like a learning mode, so that other devices can find the nodes and extend their network. 

I'm now using my Conbee || stick, without the ability to pair the deco nodes to it. The other way around isn't working, to use the M9 as the primary device, the lack of support is just a pain. I think it would be a boost to have these nodes work as repeaters (routers) and add them to my existing zigbee network (working inside Home Assistant). 

Thanks a lot!

Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco M9 smarthome Zigbee hub
2020-12-01 18:25:33

@KentuckyMC 

I'm not understanding what you are requesting?  can you explain it again.  Please feel free to be as detailed as possible there is no character limts. 

Options
2020-12-01 19:23:43

@Carl Hey!

Thanks for the quick response. I'm sorry if my request isn't clear, let me try to explain it more.

I just see I already responded to an older topic: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/112209. This is the same request that I've now, let me try to make this clear:

I'm running Home Assistant with a Conbee 2 Zigbee stick. This stick is acting as router and works great with a lot of devices already. Things like Ikea, Philips Hue, Aqara, Xiaomi and many more are already supported with that stick in combination with Zigbee Home Automation (ZHA). That's the default integration for Home Assistant for Zigbee. 

My question is actually to make something like a learning mode for the Deco M9 nodes, so the other devices around them could "see" them. Just like the Ikea Repeaters. You can set them at "pair" mode, making them visible for routers around them. It should be great to not just give us the option to let the Deco M9 run as "main"routers, but also just as repeaters. So my Conbee 2 stick can stay the "main" router connected to my ZHA. The different M9 nodes can then further repeat the signal and work as "normal" routers (just like the different wall plugs / smart bulbs). It's really just a wi-fi mesh now with the M9, missing the awesome Zigbee functionality these devices could deliver. 

Is it clear what I mean? Bottomline it's just something like a "learning" mode. Just like how you set the smart bulbs / plugs / repeaters in learning mode. If these Deco M9 nodes can be made "visible" for the other Zigbee routers, then they can integrate these awesome nodes in it. 

Greetings!

Options
2020-12-01 20:15:49

@KentuckyMC 

So what it sounds like you are looking to see if the Deco can do is to link to existing networks instead of being the main router or AP?  Is that correct?  If so no the Deco, any of our Decos are not designed for that purpose they can be Router or AP mode.  in AP mode all routing functions are disable and the Deco is just a WAP with Mesh.  You can add additional decos to a network up to 10 but that is the extent of its expansion capabilities. 

The older thread is from our Global community and not managend by the US team so we did not see that.  

Also for TP-Link devices, intergration outside of the official software or firmware is often possible but comes with some caviats.  1.  They are not supported by TP-Link 2. They do void your warranities as it is a modification of the product and or its software.  The GPL for the Deco M9 is available on our website so you can review that and or see if any one in the opensource community has developed a custom firmware to achieve what you are looking at doing but at least if I am understanding correctly what you are asking for is not something that will be officially supported.  

Options
2020-12-02 06:43:34

@Carl

Thanks again for the great explanation. 

My question is answered by this. I hoped something would be possible to let them run and extend my existing zigbee mesh network, but that's not possible. Hopefully there will be some open source possibility to have the deco's work in repeat mode for an existing network instead of being the main router, restricting it to the deco app only. It's a fine app, but in a house with more home automation, it's not usefull cause of the lack of integrations to zigbee networks, but also with home automation software.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2844

Replies: 4

Voters 0

No one has voted for it yet.