How to name Dual Band Routers/Extenders in the most effective way?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-02 18:48:45 - last edited 2020-12-02 20:06:22
Model: RE305  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi there,

I'm wondering how should I setup my dual band router & RE305 extender in home. There are various thought on the forums and I'm conscious how TP LINK approach this.

1. Name router bands seperately i.e. "Router_2.4" and "Router_5" and then connect the extender to one of the bands
  2. Name router bands same i.e. "Router" and then connect the extender to the Router with different names as "Router_EXT_2.4" and "Router_EXT_5"
  3. Name router bands same i.e. "Router" and then connect the extender to the Router with same name as "Router" for both 2.4 and 5 ghz bands

I'd like to keep using the simplicity of using router and extender in home with less effort but don't prefer to decrease the performance for sure.

Many thanks in advance!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:How to name Dual Band Routers/Extenders in the most effective way?-Solution
2020-12-02 20:05:00 - last edited 2020-12-02 20:06:22

@inlkcs 

If you have for instance your smart phone set to remember both network names and you move outside the coverage of one and the other is in range your phone will connect to the available network.  It would be akin to your phone being setup to connect to your Home wifi but also to say your parent's home wifi.  When you are at your parent's home it automatically connects.  It would be the same with two sperate names.  Ideally i would say two seprate names is best because you do not run the risk of a conflict. 

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:How to name Dual Band Routers/Extenders in the most effective way?
2020-12-02 19:26:56

@inlkcs 

so there are two ways.  You can copy the SSID of the host router or give the bands each a unique name. The Difference is this:

Same SSID makes it easy to switch between the Host and the extender automatically.  However some clients may not know which to connect to, especially if they are between the two.  So in these cases they will either constantly hop between the two or not connect at all.  The result is the same poor or no internet on these clients. 

Unqiue SSID removes this conflict but you have to manually switch between host and extender as needed.  

The other option you have if you have one of our compatible OneMesh routers and extenders you could use the OneMesh which converts the Extender into a remote Mesh Node and remove the conflict issue of having the same SSID.  OneMesh devices are here:  

Options
Re:How to name Dual Band Routers/Extenders in the most effective way?
2020-12-02 19:51:45

@Carl thanks for the prompt reply. I'd like to get your advice on this question to make a final decision.

For most smartphones and laptops which are about to lose the signal of host router but already paired with the extender, which option would allow a faster switch from router to extender?

Let's say my smarthpone was already paired with the extender with different SSID before. I'm connected to host router, walking away from the source and about the lose the signal. Does it swtich the connection to the extender faster as the SSIDs are different?

Options
Re:How to name Dual Band Routers/Extenders in the most effective way?-Solution
2020-12-02 20:05:00 - last edited 2020-12-02 20:06:22

@inlkcs 

If you have for instance your smart phone set to remember both network names and you move outside the coverage of one and the other is in range your phone will connect to the available network.  It would be akin to your phone being setup to connect to your Home wifi but also to say your parent's home wifi.  When you are at your parent's home it automatically connects.  It would be the same with two sperate names.  Ideally i would say two seprate names is best because you do not run the risk of a conflict. 

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1166

Replies: 3

Related Articles