Device not working with TL-SG105 switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-03 02:13:30
Model: TL-SG105  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version:

I'll start by saying that I do not have an IT background or much knowledge on the subject, so I apologize if I am not using the proper terminology or have a tough time understanding what is being said.

I purchased a TL-SG105 switch and wanted to use it so that I can hard wire in multiple devices (smart TV and cable box). Currently, the Ethernet cable from the wall jack goes straight to my cable box only. My smart TV is connected via WiFi, but I want to hardwire it because the WiFi signal can be spotty at times.

I plugged in my new switch and then plugged the Ethernet cable from the wall jack straight in to port 1 on the switch. I then ran an Ethernet cable from port 2 directly to my cable box and then ran another Ethernet cable from port 3 to my smart TV. My smart TV wired connection ran just fine... no noticeable issues with internet connectivity or slow speeds when streaming. My issue was with the cable box. If I turned the cable box on and went to a channel, it would work for maybe 5 seconds and then freeze up and stop working. I tried it a few times and the same thing happened each time. Since the switch and everything worked just fine with my smart TV, I am thinking the issue may lie with my router settings or something else in relation to the cable box?

My router is a Zyxel EMG3415-B10A. It was provided by my cable/internet provider. I know how to access my router settings from my computer, but that is as far as I know how to do. I really do not understand anything within the settings themselves. I can see a list of connected devices and have the option to "add device into static DHCP" but I have no clue what that means. Other than that, there are a lot of other settings I can adjust but I am unfamiliar with what they do.

Any advice or things to try out would be very much appreciated! I am afraid of messing up something within the settings and then not knowing how to fix it, so I thought I would ask here first. Also, since my switch is the "unmanaged" version, I do not believe there are any settings I can adjust with that?

Thank you for your help!

Options
7 Reply
Re:Device not working with TL-SG105 switch
2020-12-03 02:17:41
One thing I forgot to add... when I had all three Ethernet cables plugged in to my switch (line to wall jack, line to cable box, and line to TV) all lights on the switch were on, so they were getting power.
Options
2020-12-03 18:51:17

@srand15 

Steal the Ethernet cable from the TV and put that to the cable box to see if the issue is cable related.

If you happen to have a computer you can connect with an Ethernet cable I would try with the same cable the cable box used if not tested with the TV. If testing other devices work, then there may be a setting with the cable box that needs to be changed.

Options
2020-12-03 18:58:33

@Tony thank you for the response. I did check that, in fact I checked multiple Ethernet cables which each device and all cables would work with the TV, while none would work with the cable box.

Options
2020-12-07 21:58:50

@srand15 

Try setting a static IP for the TV.

Adding a device to static DHCP means whatever IP address the device has the Zyxel bind the MAC address of that device to that IP so it does not change.

Options
2020-12-07 23:22:36

@Tony thanks again.

forgive my ignorance on the subject, but I just want to clarify. So my TV was working fine connected to the switch. The cable box is what was not working after more than 5 seconds or so.

So do I connect both devices to the switch first and then assign a static IP to just the TV only, or do I assign it to both devices? Do I have to assign one to the switch? I am not sure if that one even popped up in my router settings or not, but can check when I set it back up again.

Options
2020-12-07 23:24:08
Or do I have to set up the static IP to each device prior to connecting to the switch? If I screw something up, is there an easy way to just “reset” everything back to normal?
Options
2020-12-09 22:11:05

@srand15 

The switch does not use an IP address so that and the TV could be left alone. My apologies, I meant in assigning a static IP for the cable box.

I found this in the guide which shows how, page 122 - 123: https://www.zyxel.com/us/en/uploads/images/VMG3925-B10A_UG_v5-11_ed1_2015-11-11.pdf

Select the box from the dropdown list or manually enter it by referencing the MAC address of the box. There may be a sticker on the box that shows the MAC of it, and giving it an IP of 192.168.1.250

Looks like you and check the rule to activate or uncheck to disable the reservation.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 6579

Replies: 7

Related Articles