Plex Media Server Shows as Remote

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-08 02:12:51
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.4.3 Build 20200921 Rel. 42500

I use Plex and since I purchased my M9 Plus a few months ago I noticed a change when I play media.

The media plays back at 4Mbps 720p which is what I have set for the remote streaming quality.  However this happens when I am playing something at home.

When I check the Media Server Status in Plex is always shows remote.

If I select Retry usually after 4 tries it will change to Nearby.

Then my media will play at it's original quality.

Any idea how I can resolve this?

Thank you.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Plex Media Server Shows as Remote
2020-12-09 15:22:57

@zooropean 

A different user with Deco M5s had the same issue: https://forums.plex.tv/t/plex-on-a-mesh-network-only-achieving-indirect-connection/356659

The problem was their computer's firewall the plex server was on.

Options
2020-12-09 15:56:23

@Tony 

Hello there,

I saw that post over on the Plex forums awhile ago and I am pretty sure I checked the Windows firewall.

But I can check it again and report back.

Options
2020-12-11 03:13:34

I doublechecked the Windows firewall and all of the Plex services are checked to allow through the firewall.

Options
2020-12-11 17:51:14

@zooropean 

Other people eluded to adding /plex.direct/, but with the Deco unit I do not think that option is there, only to change the IP of the DNS servers. There was another mention of disabling the security feature that prevents DNS relay attacks.

If you happen to have another router, use that router as the main router, and connect the Deco to that, and set the Deco to AP Mode. The Deco will still operate as a mesh network, but not have any of the routing features: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2399/

Options
2020-12-11 20:21:12 - last edited 2020-12-11 20:21:41

@Tony 

Sounds like what I had read about a DNS rebinding issue as a potential cause.

I do still have my other router.  This issue was not present when I used that router.

I can try the connecting the older router but I hope in the future the Deco can get updated with more functionality regarding DNS management.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1331

Replies: 5