Deco X60 won’t upgrade firmware

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-09 01:30:06
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.2 Build 20191216 Rel. 34966

Tried to upgrade the firmware three different ways with no luck:

1. in mobile app, go to advanced->update deco, but app tells me I'm already up to date

2. in web interface, click firmware->upgrade->download from internet, but interface tells me I already have the latest

3. download latest firmware update from tp-link website, unzip bin file, then go to web interface, go to firmware upgrade page, and select the bin file to upload and update. X60 goes through steps of applying the update and rebooting, but after restart the firmware version remains as the old version from 20191216. 

I would really like to update the firmware to the latest. Anyone have any luck updating the firmware on the Deco X60?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco X60 won’t upgrade firmware
2020-12-09 18:20:41

@hanmari 

Power down then power up every node, and try the update again in the Deco app.

If that fails, go to the support page of the Deco and download the oldest firmware version which should be 1.2.4 (build 200527), log into the web GUI like you tried, and upload the .bin file. If that works, use the app again to try and update it that way after.

Options
2020-12-09 19:37:20

@Tony Thanks for the advice. I was able to get one of the devices to switch to different firmware versions, but two of my three x60 devices remain stuck on the original firmware. I have moved the device that can change to the latest firmware into the primary position and left the other two as satellites. I hope running different firmware versions in the same network won't cause too much trouble.

These are the steps I have tried to get the remaining two devices to change firmware:

• remove all devices from the network so only the x60 units are present
  • move each device to primary position, press the reset button, and rebuild the network from scratch, then update the firmware over an ethernet cable as well as over wifi
  • move each device to a satellite position, press the reset button, add the device to the network, then update the firmware over an ethernet cable as well as over wifi

The firmware on two of the devices won't budge. The third accepts updates and will easily change from one firmware version to another without any trouble. I am beginning to suspect I have a couple of bad x60 devices. Does anyone know of any procedures that I could use to force firmware to flash? I am losing faith in the online tools because they always report that my firmware is already the latest even when it is painfully obvious that there have been three firmware releases since the original.

Options
2020-12-11 18:06:56

@hanmari 

See if your Deco units are different hardware versions as they have different hardware versions, you can see that on the sticker label below the unit.

I would recommend reaching out to our support team to see if the reaming two nodes may have an issue.

Options
2020-12-16 19:39:16

@Tony Thanks again for your input. I created a ticket with customer support at TP-Link and was soon escalated to a second tier technical agent. I granted him local access to my network through a Team Viewer client and he was able to remote into my Windows PC and run firmware upgrade tools and diagnostic commands. He concluded that though the units were in working order, their firmware was frozen and I would need to send them in for servicing. I was pleasantly surprised with the level of technical acumen from the second tier support representative and the online tools that TP-Link was able to provide. I have started the RMA process so should have replacement units soon.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1060

Replies: 4

Related Articles