Set as AP or not?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Set as AP or not?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Set as AP or not?
Set as AP or not?
2020-12-12 20:39:12
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

I'm sorry if this has already been asked & answered, but I was not able to find it.

I am dumping my old cable company modem/wireless router and cable TV, So I need a new wi-fi system.  I believe the M5 and the Netgear CM700 I got will do the trick.  My concern is how to connect my main computer to the system.  My thought is that i will connect it or a laptop to the cable modem to get it setup.  After the modem is set I can disconnect the computer, connect the server M5 to the modem and setup the mesh wi-fi for my home.  I am planning to then connect my main computer to the server node.  Will this work?   Or will I need to set the server node to AP mode?   Or do you suggest something else?

My Home is 1440 sq. ft.  My cable connection is on the far east side of the house.  I think I will only need 2 (two) of the M5 nodes to cover my home.

Thank you

Options
1 Reply
Re:Set as AP or not?
2020-12-14 19:24:20

@hangpilot 

After setting up the modem, connect the M5, while the M5 is on, reboot only the modem. Then download the Deco app on your smartphone and set it up from there. The Deco will default to router mode. Since the Deco is your router, leave it in that mode.

AP mode is for setting up the Deco with an existing router.

Once the Deco is set up, you can connect your computer to the other Ethernet port on the main node or other satellite nodes.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 390

Replies: 1

Related Articles