3-unit M9 Plus mesh system lost 5Ghz

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-14 18:50:32

Hi everyone, first post here.

I purchased a 3-unit M9 Plus from Costco in August.

Initial set up was surprisingly a pain in the neck, but eventually successful. It had been working fine for a couple of months but recently I noticed a significant decrease in speed. 

After some tests it turns out that the 5Ghz network is missing. It is technically enabled in the app but it is non-existent. Tried disable/enable in app a few times, no change. Tried unplugging the whole system a couple times, no success. Wifi Analizer app can't find the 5Ghz either.

Then I factory reset the whole system. When I set up the first, main Deco (the one that receives internet from the modem via cable), there is proper 5Ghz and achieves max speed. But once I add a second or even a third unit, 5Ghz disappears completely. During one of the tries I seem to have maintained 5Ghz with 2 units but that happened only once and after adding the 3rd unit, 5Ghz disappeared.

I tried swapping the units and making a different one the main unit, same story. First, single unit does have 5Ghz, but once I add 1 or 2 more, no 5Ghz, only 2.4Ghz.

I tried this reset/set-up procedure 4-5 times, no 5Ghz. System states it's up-to date, no updates needed. 

The app's own internal speed test however shows max speed, using the hidden(?) 5Ghz network?? No other device has 5Ghz and speed test is slow, even when placing the test device right next to the main Deco.

Options
4 Reply
Re:3-unit M9 Plus mesh system lost 5Ghz
2020-12-15 22:56:14

@Gabebalazs 

The M9 has three wireless bands. The 2.4G, 5G-1, and 5G-2. 

The 2.4G and one of the 5G bands is for users to connect to, the second 5G band is what is used to connect the other Deco units together as the dedicated wireless backhaul.

Even if you were to add the Deco units to each other, there should be one 2.4G and one 5G available. In the Deco app, you can disable one of the bands in the wireless settings. Disable the 2.4G and then reconnect to the network or see if the wireless network is viewable on any wireless device.

Options
2020-12-15 23:55:40 - last edited 2020-12-15 23:57:19

I've managed to fix it somehow in the meantime. 

We tried to run our iRobot Roomba and since I had created created a new network name, the vacuum wasn't working. Then I had to unplug and plug back in the system (which I had done multiple times before that, including reset and fresh set up etc.), plus change the Roomba Wifi setup.

When the system started up the 5Ghz returned somehow. There are still occasional mysterious brief internet outages in the system though (authentication problems). But at least it's proven that the 5Ghz indeed does work.

Options
2020-12-16 23:55:22

@Gabebalazs 

I would check the firmware to make sure it is up to date. should be higher than 1.4.x.

Options
2020-12-17 00:24:04

It's odd, firmware is 1.2.12 Build 20191014 Re.l 42025

HOWEVER, it says "Your Deco Home Wifi System is currently up-to-date. Enjoy!"

So should I somehow force it to update the firmware?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 686

Replies: 4