M9 Just keeps changing IP addresses

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-14 19:20:26
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.4.3

This is super super frustrating - I seem to get a security update and then the assigned IP addresses of all devices are changed - address reservation is useless as devices are getting a different IP address randomly - e.g. just gone from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.4.1 and this had changed again a few weeks ago - why is this changing due to the security update?!!!.

Trying to fix this by change the DHCP Server Start and End IP does not work, not does the LAN IP setting - both fail "Failed to save, try again later" 

Any netowrk configuration is useless if the address reservation is not actually a reservation as clients loose access to eachother after these security updates.

Options
10 Reply
Re:M9 Just keeps changing IP addresses
2020-12-15 23:34:28

@AlsoCalledChris 

If the Deco detects any LAN overlap then it will change the IP. So if the WAN DNS server references an IP on the LAN, the Deco will change the LAN. So addresses on the WAN must be different from address on the LAN.

Options
2020-12-16 22:43:07

@Tony  thanks for the reply - I don't understand why it has changed the whole network to use different addresses from 192.168.0.x to 192.168.4.x - I could understand it changing a single IP if there was a clash but this changes all of them (and how does the clash occur - the Deco is the only DHCP server and it's changing the start IP and Gateway - seems extreme for a collision? How can I stop this as I can't rely on static ips for my LAN with the deco.

Options
2020-12-17 21:56:47

@AlsoCalledChris 

The case is seen when the WAN DNS is referencing an IP on the LAN, say a Pi-hole device that is the DNS server.

In your case is your WAN including the WAN DNS referencing a different IP then the LAN IP scheme?

Options
2020-12-18 23:00:04

@Tony 

There is a pihole involved, but it's assigned an IP by the Deco and it's in the correct LAN IP range, however the secondary DNS address in the WAN settings is a public DNS server for when the pihole falls over. 

Options
2020-12-31 01:08:01

@AlsoCalledChris 

Did you ever find a solution for this? I have the same issue with deco x60

Options
2021-01-02 21:16:37

@GaganS 

no, I've turned the pihole off and it's been ok but I also haven't had any software updates to the deco either... I still don't understand why the pihole would interfere with the deco :(

Options
2021-01-02 21:36:10

@Tony aaaah, ok - I've had another read and look at the setup and yes, the WAN does reference the IP of the pihole on the LAN - looking at the deco settings I think I should change the DHCP DNS settings instead to reference the pihole?

Tony wrote

@AlsoCalledChris 

The case is seen when the WAN DNS is referencing an IP on the LAN, say a Pi-hole device that is the DNS server.

In your case is your WAN including the WAN DNS referencing a different IP then the LAN IP scheme?

Options
2021-01-02 21:37:58

Ok, I'm going to try changing the dns setting for just the DHCP server and see if that helps - that keeps inline with what Tony is saying, although I still don't fully understand how it works for a while and then changes the IPs...

GaganS wrote

@AlsoCalledChris 

@GaganS 

Options
2021-01-08 00:36:53

@AlsoCalledChris 

AlsoCalledChris wrote

Ok, I'm going to try changing the dns setting for just the DHCP server and see if that helps - that keeps inline with what Tony is saying, although I still don't fully understand how it works for a while and then changes the IPs...

GaganS wrote

@AlsoCalledChris 

@GaganS 

How do you change the dns just for DHCP? Dont think that can be done for the x60

Options
2021-01-09 08:56:21

@GaganS 

The M9 has DNS IP settings in the DHCP settings menu as well as the WAN settings - sorry I don't know about the x60

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1304

Replies: 10