Archer c2700 printer issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-15 15:39:26 - last edited 2020-12-16 16:19:26
Model: Archer C2700  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0..5

Im not able to access my printer or even ping the printer when connected by ethernet   But with the same device(s) if I connect wirelessly everything is fine   Everything else seems to work with the wired, just not printing

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer c2700 printer issue-Solution
2020-12-16 15:30:35 - last edited 2020-12-16 16:19:26

kvik369 wrote

@IrvSp after reading your reply, I enabled smb1 and can now print while wired

Can you explain that a little ?  thanks

And unless a windows update disabled smb1, I never had it enabled and was able to print wired with the other router

@kvik369 

Well, since V1703 (Creator version) from sometime ago, MS 'disabled' SMB1 and that broke most users as SMB1 is used so home network support.

Now without more direct info, as to why and more importantly how the Netgear was setup, it is hard to tell. You called it an RAX router and I'll assume you meant one of the newer ones that support AX speed. Some of those do support SMB 3 (and 2) that might also work. What I don't know if you meant the SAME PC you can't print wired with could print when run wireless? That would indicate it is how the printer driver works, using IP Address when wireless, port under SMB 1 when wired.

If you Google 'why do I need smb1 to print' you'll see many links about this, some might fit you and your situation better.

One difference though with SMB 1 on and off is how the PC sees the network. This does depend on both the Router and the Computer Master Browser (Google this for more details). The Master Browser keeps a list of the devices on the LAN. It can be the Router who is 'it' or a PC.

Now since you are on W10 and have SMB 1 on, open a CMD Prompt and enter NET VIEW, you'll see something like this that I see:

==================

C:\>net view
Server Name            Remark

------------------------------------------
\\HP7855               Samba 3.0.37
\\IRV8700              Irv's 8700
\\TP-SHARE             samba server
The command completed successfully.

==================

I have an Archer A20 and it's share name is TP-SHARE for my external USB drive attached to it. Note my HP Printer. Both of those are running SAMBA. Google 'samba smb1' and you'll see some versions of it require SMB 1. Suspect your Printer does too.

Now if the other devices that can print wireless (which I suspect is the case) but the PC you can't print with doesn't do wireless, then they either have SMB 1 enabled or a Samba version that works with the printer.

Now you can also see how W10 'finds' the devices on the LAN. Open Windows Explorer and make sure you enable the column Discovery Method :

Even though my printer and router share has a Samba Server running, they require SMB 1 as they actually use NetBios as the interface.

Google 'smb1 netbios' for more details.

By the way, if you do DISABLE SMB 1, NET VIEW will return error. Also, if you have other W10 devices on the LAN that they too must run SMB 1.

If you need more info, ask away.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Archer c2700 printer issue
2020-12-15 19:27:32

kvik369 wrote

Im not able to access my printer or even ping the printer when connected by ethernet   But with the same device(s) if I connect wirelessly everything is fine   Everything else seems to work with the wired, just not printing

@kvik369 

Some more info would help clarify this.

• What OS? Windows 10?
    • If so IS SMB 1 enabled?
  • Is this a new router?
    • If not, did this work before?
  • What Printer is this, make and model?
    • Was it newly installed?

You really were not too clear is the same device can connect both wired and wifi and you can print when connected via Wifi.

Options
2020-12-16 13:31:52 - last edited 2020-12-16 16:17:38

@IrvSp I appreciate your reply

windows 10

SMB1 disabled

new router ( had a netgear rax but many issues - grabbed something simple and "dependable")

Epson xp 640 -  been using for a while

Cant connect to printer or print\scan etc while wired (tried from a laptop also)

but can connect and print\scan etc on wireless

pc is also a media server so evrything else is working fine

Options
2020-12-16 13:37:52 - last edited 2020-12-16 13:56:34

And unless a windows update disabled smb1, I never had it enabled and was able to print wired with the other router

Options
Re:Archer c2700 printer issue-Solution
2020-12-16 15:30:35 - last edited 2020-12-16 16:19:26

kvik369 wrote

@kvik369 

Well, since V1703 (Creator version) from sometime ago, MS 'disabled' SMB1 and that broke most users as SMB1 is used so home network support.

Now without more direct info, as to why and more importantly how the Netgear was setup, it is hard to tell. You called it an RAX router and I'll assume you meant one of the newer ones that support AX speed. Some of those do support SMB 3 (and 2) that might also work. What I don't know if you meant the SAME PC you can't print wired with could print when run wireless? That would indicate it is how the printer driver works, using IP Address when wireless, port under SMB 1 when wired.

If you Google 'why do I need smb1 to print' you'll see many links about this, some might fit you and your situation better.

One difference though with SMB 1 on and off is how the PC sees the network. This does depend on both the Router and the Computer Master Browser (Google this for more details). The Master Browser keeps a list of the devices on the LAN. It can be the Router who is 'it' or a PC.

Now since you are on W10 and have SMB 1 on, open a CMD Prompt and enter NET VIEW, you'll see something like this that I see:

==================

C:\>net view
Server Name            Remark

------------------------------------------
\\HP7855               Samba 3.0.37
\\IRV8700              Irv's 8700
\\TP-SHARE             samba server
The command completed successfully.

==================

I have an Archer A20 and it's share name is TP-SHARE for my external USB drive attached to it. Note my HP Printer. Both of those are running SAMBA. Google 'samba smb1' and you'll see some versions of it require SMB 1. Suspect your Printer does too.

Now if the other devices that can print wireless (which I suspect is the case) but the PC you can't print with doesn't do wireless, then they either have SMB 1 enabled or a Samba version that works with the printer.

Now you can also see how W10 'finds' the devices on the LAN. Open Windows Explorer and make sure you enable the column Discovery Method :

Even though my printer and router share has a Samba Server running, they require SMB 1 as they actually use NetBios as the interface.

Google 'smb1 netbios' for more details.

By the way, if you do DISABLE SMB 1, NET VIEW will return error. Also, if you have other W10 devices on the LAN that they too must run SMB 1.

If you need more info, ask away.

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-12-16 16:15:25

@IrvSp there wasnt anything special with the netgear router and yes its a wifi 6 router

and yes the same pc could print from wifi when its on, , but not wired when wifi is off   I also tested the same thing from a laptop

I will check everything you stated.  After googling you were the only one that pointed me at smb.  But I will test more

That should be good for now    Thanks for your time

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 526

Replies: 5