TP-Link AC1200 Archer A6 V2.0 - 10-20% packet loss from specific server

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-17 17:45:02
Model: Archer A10  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 20201010

So, I just installed my AC1200 Archer A6 V2.0 (this forum does not let me select my model for some reason), firmware is the latest, updated manually while connected via ethernet (ArcherA6v2_us_tw_c6us-up-ver1-1-7-P1[20201010-rel49458])

My networking setup is I have a modem with a single ethernet port, which connects to the router via ethernet, which then connects to 2 computers via ethernet.

So I mine cryptocurrency on my computer and for some reason, when I ping the server for my mining pool us1.ethermine.org, I am getting 10-15% packet loss. Latency only 9-11ms, but unacceptably high packet loss.

Before I hooked up the router, my modem was connected directly to one of my computers, while the other was connected to a nearby xfinity wifi hotspot. The connection directly to my modem produces zero packet loss, and my connection to the nearby xfinity wifi hotspot produces almost no packet loss.

With my computers connected to this router, either via ethernet cable or wireless, I am getting this massive packet loss when I ping my mining server. When I ping other servers, such as yahoo, google, gmail, zero packet loss. When I ping other mining servers, zero packet loss.

The strangest thing is that, when I turn on my vpn, I get zero packet loss from ethermine.org. When I turn the vpn off, the packet loss returns.

So I am at a loss. Based on the above, I know that the problem is not my ISP (because there's no packet loss when connected directly to my modem), and it's not the router's hardware being spotty (because I get no packet loss when connecting to other servers, and no packet loss to the server at issue when I connect through a VPN). I think that the answer must be simple, but I am just not knowledgeable enough about networking to figure it out.

Options
1 Reply
Re:TP-Link AC1200 Archer A6 V2.0 - 10-20% packet loss from specific server
2020-12-18 18:50:39

@KrampusKlaus 

The one variable that looks to be related is the DNS? I would try various DNS servers to see if one responds or see if other miners mention what they use. Resolve the IP and try pining that to see if it is related to DNS as well.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 893

Replies: 1