Deco M9 blocking sites including TP-Link (Dec 2020)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-19 17:26:32
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.4.3

At the end of November my Deco M9 began blocking streaming music through Amazon Prime Music and TuneIn. I went through a few rounds of troubleshooting with Amazon without success until I got the idea to remove parental controls that had given no problem before. 

It seemed to be a change to the parental control "online communication" that started blocking these streams. Apple podcasts, news, and weather all worked. Taking off that parental control restored my streaming music. I still block most others to avoid Amazon from tracking me with new features without my knowledge.

Sometime around December 15, 2020, pertaining to use on an IPhone with IOS 14.2 a Target app stopped working, TD Ameritrade's login function does not appear, and even TP-Link's help does not load. Once I bypass the router's advanced features with a VPN, like I am now, these features work. They are all the latest app versions.

I have used the parental controls to block invasive trackers, like google analytics, Facebook graph, Facebook pixel (plus about 10 of the the Facebook servers that appear). The only blocked categories from the Deco options enabled are gamblinh (could not post with the correct spelling) and pay to surf. Again, even TP-Link was being blocked!

I have used the Deco M9 plus for over a year with no such problems. These only developed since the end of November. It is possible the coding called by the web sites fails to load due for the blocked calls since even removing all categories did not solve the problems. 

I use the Deco in router mode from a Verizon FIOS router and use the modem/router for DNS. The Verizon FIOS uses Couldflare's DNS 1.1.1.1. I block a few ranges of Chinese IPs on the FIOS Actiontec router. My Deco uses an Ethernet connection to the Actiontec and I believe I set it up to pass all connections except TV to the Deco.  Whether or not the Actiontec is bridge vs. router has never been a problem.

I pulled one device off parental controls altogether and this restored most. I cannot swap to the blocked sites setting now since I connected to this site via the Deco app, but it is only about a dozen servers blocked, most of which are Facebook servers (pixel.facebook.com, graph.facebook.com, graph.instagram.com et al.) plus "Facebook" as Deco defined it. Yet, why is it blocking Target, TD Ameritrade, and even TP-Link?

thanks

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco M9 blocking sites including TP-Link (Dec 2020)
2021-01-23 17:49:50

I removed my device from parental profiles and though I can now get to TP-Link's web site if not using the VPN, hotmail (default iPhone interface, perhaps with POP but it does not show in my settings), TD Ameritrade app, and others still fail unless turning off the malicious content filter.  How does Trend Micro consider Hotmail and TD Ameritrade malicious content? I leave it on anyway because my wife tends not to realize what she is clicking on.

I don't know whether Samsung updated something but I also have experienced be problems since around December 2020 connecting to Netflix. I often need to reload it to get it to wok. This could be unrelated to my Deco issues.  My Amazon Echo devices had been blocked by TP Link (a TP link logo appeared on my Spot) and then unblocked without intervention. However my others are working correctly after removing pay to surf and online communication.

this is VERY frustrating. 

Options
Re:Deco M9 blocking sites including TP-Link (Dec 2020)
2021-02-20 22:56:11

@Zip123 

I am now able to get to TD Ameritrade and load outlook mail but I am not certain whether it was the result of a TrendMicro update or firmware update to my ISP's router. I reenabled malware protection in Deco's security options from TrendMicro. 

I upgraded the firmware in my Actiontec router. This is the standard router for Verizon FIOS from 2012 or so. It preserved my bridge mode but deleted a few other settings where I was blocking Chinese IP ranges. It added an IPv6 setting that I enabled and it seemed to have obtained an IPv6 address but does pass one on to the Deco, only an IPv4 address.

I changed the DNS from 1.1.1.1 to 1.1.1.2. for extra malware protection and also enabled and added the IPv6 versions. Deco pulls the DNS from my FIOS router. I suppose it could go directly to Cloudflare but I did not set it up that way. 

I also removed "social networking" from Deco's blocked services for my Amazon devices so my spot device works correctly again. It is no longer showing the TP-Link logo on the screen. I am still surprised that it would block an Amazon device with that on but now all is in order.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1293

Replies: 2

Related Articles