Tips to squeeze more speed out of AX1800

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-23 17:34:26 - last edited 2020-12-23 18:15:12
Model: Archer AX1800  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.0 Build 20201023 rel.69937(5553)

Set up my new AX1800 3 days ago.  All seems to be working well but I notice that my upload speeds have been cut quite a bit.

On our old router we were seeing around 250 down and 250 up, when testing via WiFi. 

This AX1800 is performing flawlessly but I am noticing lower upload speeds (around 75)

Does anyone have any tips to eke out better upload speeds?  I currently have QOS (disabled) and have Airtime Fairness (enabled).  I also have WPA2 Personal/WPA3 Personal enabled. The computer that I'm using to test is connected via the AX protocol and has 1200/1200 WiFi connection speed.  Its the internet connection that is slower.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Edit:  I forgot to mention that I tested directly connected via a LAN port and the upload speeds didn't change much.  Download ended up around 270 and upload around 100.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Tips to squeeze more speed out of AX1800
2020-12-26 17:25:31

Even though no one has responded yet, I thought I should give an update.  I think the reason it was showing slower on WiFi before was a channel selection issue.  As far as the wired LAN port test I did, I found out that the cabling I was using was older CAT-5 because it was going to an old laser printer.  Using new cables fixed that.

Depending on which speed test site I use, I'm now showing around 300 down and 170 up.  This is completely acceptable for me because everyone in the house is reporting how smooth and steady the internet service is since I've installed this router. 

I was originally going to put in a 2nd access point because we have a large house and property but it doesn't seem necessary.  The Archer AX1800 router is located in a utility closet in the basement.  2 floors up and on the furthest opposite side of the house, I'm getting nearly full signal on 5Ghz and completely full signal on 2.4Ghz.  We have over 20 devices connected and all is working fine.

Hats off to TP-Link for producing such a great piece of equipment.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1786

Replies: 1

Related Articles