Deco M9 Plus Slow in AP Mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-26 15:24:30 - last edited 2020-12-26 15:46:32
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.4.3 Build 20200921 Rel. 42500

I have Fios Internet with 1Gbps download and upload.  With I have the Deco wireless network in Router mode, the download and upload speed are pretty close to my 1Gbps speed, 883Mbps download and 911Mbps upload.  When I switch it to AP mode, the speed of the download drops to 500Mbps while the upload speed remains at 900Mbps. While I used my laptop to do a speed test, the download also limits me to the 500Mbps speed.  When I connected my laptop directly to the Fios router, then my download and upload speed is the normal 1Gbps speed.  I then connected my laptop via Ethernet to the main Deco unit through the second Ethernet port, I get the reduced download speed of 500Mbps.  This shows me that it's not an Internet problem, but rather the Deco in AP mode.

In my setup, I have two Deco M9+ units both directly connected to my Fios router via Ethernet.  This shouldn't present a problem, but just to be sure, I removed the satellite unit.  I then did the test again and I get the 500Mbps download speed in both Router mode and AP mode, which was strange.  I had to default reset the units and reconfigure the entire system to get back the download speed of 1Gbps speed in Router mode.  I then switched to AP mode and the same thing happened, the download speed was reduced to 500Mbps.  Is this a firmware issue, or is this by design?  I can't imagine why my download speed would be reduced in AP mode by design?

By the way, I already have a case opened with Tech Support but wanted to check with the community.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco M9 Plus Slow in AP Mode
2021-01-02 02:05:26

So I did another quick test.  In my current setup, I'm only using two of the three APs that came with the set.  The third one is still in the box, and not being used.  I took that one out of the box and removed the two existing APs from the network.  I then created a new network with the new AP out of the box and directly connected it to the FIOS router.  In the router mode, I'm getting the same result of 900Mbps download and 900Mbps upload.  I switched it to AP mode and got the same result as the original configuration with the two APs, 500Mbps download and 900Mbps upload.  The idea behind this to eliminate any type of potential networking or backhaul issues.  You would think AP mode would be faster because it doesn't have to do any type of routing, processing, NATing, etc.  The single AP configuration is on firmware version 1.4.0, whereas the 2-AP configuration is on 1.4.3, so it doesn't seem like firmware is an issue.

I checked the Fios router configuration and nothing points to it as being the problem.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 814

Replies: 1

Related Articles