Guest Networks with a Range Extender

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-27 04:10:04
Model: RE230  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: Don't know

Just bought a RE230 range extender. I will be using it in a guest cottage next to my house. Because I'm not 100% certain the RE will work in this application, I've not yet logged in to see the Hardware or Firmware versions.

Initially, I will be using the stock firmware in a Linksys WRT 3200ACM router, but I will be upgrading this to openWRT firmware. I'm not exactly certain how to attach the RE to the router. Ordinarily the router transmits 3 SSID's: 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz, and Guest. If the user selects the Guest Network, the router transmits a web page, which opens in a tab on the default browser; the user then enters the Guest Network password on the web page and logs into the network. This is different from the WPA2 authentication, which typically just pops up a small window requesting a password.

So:

• if I set up the RE the way the instructions say, using the 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz bands with WPA2 authentication, will the Guest Network be extended too?
  • If instead, I set up the Guest Network at 2.4 GHz (because 2.4 has further range) and the ordinary 5 GHz band as the RE230's two bands, what will happen when the user selects the range extender's 2.4 GHz band?
  • Is there a recommended approach for this kind of application?

Thanks.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 857

Replies: 0

Related Articles